Lake Erie Anchorages

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
JamesS

Re: Lake Erie Anchorages

Unread post by JamesS »

wlbblw wrote:Marine Traffic DOES show those anchorages, you just have to turn on the port info toggle & zoom your screen in until you see the little anchor icon & click on it. The one you're asking about is called the "Kingsville Anchorage".
lived here for 65 yrs and never knew it was that name! I must be slipping lol
wlbblw

Unread post by wlbblw »

Marine Traffic DOES show those anchorages, you just have to turn on the port info toggle & zoom your screen in until you see the little anchor icon & click on it. The one you're asking about is called the "Kingsville Anchorage".

Unread post by Guest »

It's still called Pigeon Bay on this chart:

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/14820.shtml

but no charted anchorage is shown there.

The only formal Lake Erie anchorage listed on that particular chart is SE of the entrance to the Welland Canal at Port Colborne.
JamesS

Unread post by JamesS »

the area they are anchored in is called Pigeon Bay by the old timers, not sure if that is still the name used today.
Denny

Lake Erie Anchorages

Unread post by Denny »

In currently viewing the AIS maps on both boatnerd and Marine Traffic I see that there are four vessels at least anyway that are anchored down in the Western End of Lake Erie. The four that are anchored is the following the American Spirit, Sea Eagle II, Laura L. VanEnkevort along with the CSL Laurentien. These four may have been at anchor earlier and since have departed not sure for certain? Anyway, my questions regarding the four vessels are as follows. First and foremost, what anchorages are the four vessels in? I've heard of the Colchester one but when looking at the map I am unfamiliar with the exact location of that one? Second, three are at anchor up near the Kingsville area in Ontario. The three that are there is the Sea Eagle II, Laura L. VanEnkevort and the CSL Laurentien. Are those three in the Colchester Anchorage or another anchorage area? Marine Traffic doesn't recognize the Lake Erie Anchorage areas thus they do not list the ones that those four vessels are in. Any information and help with this will most certainly and surely be appreciated. Thanks.