Spillage from conveyor belts in tunnel

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Spillage from conveyor belts in tunnel

Unread post by Guest »

Syd BC wrote:It’s not just the cargo that spills off the belts When the holds are hosed out all that remaining cargo ends up on the belts and has to be run off
I forgot about that. Hard to believe it was allowed back when I was working the lakes (I doubt it was), but it has to be illegal today.
Syd BC

Unread post by Syd BC »

It’s not just the cargo that spills off the belts When the holds are hosed out all that remaining cargo ends up on the belts and has to be run off

Unread post by Guest »

It definitely depends on the tunnelman if he is paying attention and not letting the mates up in the control room opening the gates too much and overloading the belt you won’t have a spill usually when I was head tunnelman I would always override the gates from in the tunnel and try not to let the spill happen, also it depends on the type of cargo as well ore pellets and soy beans I found were the worst for spill in the tunnel but had many other types of cargo spills as well but they seemed to be th worst for me. I hated shoveling when I definitely didn’t have to especially when some cowboy mate is trying to impress someone by overloading the belts to get unloaded quicker but only slowed everything down clean up time by having to run tons of spillage off and listing the ship from one side to the other trying to hose everything back aft into the trash pumps
Syd bc

Unread post by Syd bc »

Strange I was just thinking the same thing the other day More then just spillage would come off the belts Rags Grease cartridges light bulbs broken shovels etc

Spillage from conveyor belts in tunnel

Unread post by Guest »

I was a gateman back in the 70s, and after we would unload, we'd have to shovel all the spillage onto the belts, and after we left port, they'd put the boom over the side and run it into the lake: coal, taconite, gypsum, whatever. Do they still do that now? Or are there other ways of dealing with it?