New Emissions Regulations

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
GuestfromEU

Re: New Emissions Regulations

Unread post by GuestfromEU »

I believe one of the basis for EEXI and CII calculation ratings is taking fuel consumption measurements from original test bed data, which is always conducted with MDO (equivalent #2 Diesel Oil). Scrubbers certainly reduce the emissions, but those are fitted only on the Trillium and Equinox class, and recent Interlake conversions. That leaves many ships not fitted with scrubbers on the American side, though it includes several on the Canadian side (which are approaching end of lifecycle anyway.) Is the new Mark Barker affected? I believe this vessel was being fitted with EMD main engines, which are only designed to burn MGO, so I doubt a scrubber was planned?
Shipwatcher News

Re: New Emissions Regulations

Unread post by Shipwatcher News »

I'm not sure, but I believe #2 low sulfur diesel oil may meet requirements for carbon emissions. Most ships that burn #2 don't seem to have had many modifications to burn it. Most of the ships that burn #6 heavy fuel oil, which does not normally meet the requirements, are equipped with diesel exhaust gas scrubbers, which reduce carbon emissions to next to nothing. CSL has also been conducting experiments with burning biodiesel instead of #2, which also appears to have significantly less carbon emissions.
GuestfromEU

New Emissions Regulations

Unread post by GuestfromEU »

With new regulations adopted by the IMO recently, ships of all types and sizes will be affected in terms of emissions and efficiency. Energy Efficiency Existing Ship Index (EEXI) and Carbon Intensity Indicator (CII) will force shipowners to improve existing ships to be complaint by 2023, with CII benchmarks that become stricter year over year. I do not believe there are grandfather clauses, and this affects every ship, no matter the age or type of power. There is a standard formula used to reach the CII and EEXI, and improvement devices like scrubbers or shaft generators are accounted to offset the initial calculations.

Has anyone in the industry heard of how these regulations will affect ships on the Great Lakes?