Return to Great Lakes & Seaway Shipping Great Lakes & Seaway Shipping Online
Discussion Boards
Please click to visit our sponsor
It is currently September 26, 2021, 4:11 pm

FAQ | Instructions | Help
Search for:

Post subject: Re: Fleet Flagships
Unread postPosted: August 2, 2021, 8:18 am 
ASC does not have a designated flagship. That said, the the McCarthy, Indy and Spirit are the ones with the passanger quarters and the McCarthy currently has the senior permanent Captain.

Interlake succession of flagships: Harry Coulby, Elton Hoyt 2nd, John Sherwin, James R. Barker, Paul R. Tregurtha.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: August 1, 2021, 8:29 pm 
Adding more to the list of flagships, for the former Inland Steel fleet it was once Wilfred Sykes until probably later with the Ryerson? Once the Ryerson went back to long-term layup then it might have went back to the Sykes again unless maybe the Block? Not sure if Sykes is now the flagship or who it might be? As for the Ford fleet, I’m sure most of what was said and mentioned on the list is true regarding their flagships go. I’m sure at one point the original William Clay Ford built in the 1950s was probably once considered a flagship for them? The Cort at one time was probably a flagship for the former Bethlehem Steel fleet as well.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: August 1, 2021, 3:26 pm 
You are correct as far as the Paul R. Tregurtha being the flagship for the Interlake fleet. Before the PRT, it may have been the Barker although before her lay up I’ve read that the John Sherwin was once a flagship for Interlake! As for ASC, I’ve read once that Walter J. McCarthy Jr. at one time was a flagship. Don’t know who it was before the McCarthy? Regarding USS/GLF, I’ve read and heard different reports on them as far as their flagship. The Blough I’ve read and heard along with the Speer as well. At one point, thought I read and heard years ago that they had a Commodore aboard and whatever ship it was that he was on then was considered the flagship but that’s going way back then. Not sure about these fleets but, Algoma might be Algoma Equinox? CSL at one point I think was Atlantic Huron but, with their newer Lakers it may be one of them? Lower Lakes I think would be the Cuyahoga unless they’ve made a change there? At one point, Seaway Queen years ago was flagship for the ULS group. Don’t know how long she was flagship for them as they may have had others? This hopefully will help you out in some ways! Also for Oglebay, after the Fitz was Courtney Burton. As far as I know the ON fleet never had anybody else other than the Burton as their flagship after the Fitzgerald sinking! Before the Fitz, thought I’ve read the Armco and before them the Joesph H. Frantz? Hope this all helps.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: August 1, 2021, 12:27 pm 
If I remember correctly Bradley's flagship was Carl D Bradley (later Irvin L Clymer) then replaced by the more famous Carl D Bradley.

Report this post

Post subject: Fleet Flagships
Unread postPosted: July 31, 2021, 10:15 pm 
Just curious what the current flagships of all the major fleets are and what are some of their precursors. Interlakes current is the Paul Tregurtha. I would imagine that before that it was the James R Barker. what were the other previous interlake steamship flagships. I know that the Fitzgerald was the flagship for
Colombia and was replaced by the Burton then by the Columbia star I believe. What came before the Fitz? I know that the William Irvin was Great Lakes fleets flagship until the Blough. What were other Great Lakes feet flagships? I don’t know much about American steamship. Also what are some of the flagships for the defunct fleets? I know Shegano was the Oberstar, Cliffs was the Cliffs Victory, Fords for awhile was the Lee A but what about the Benson and Henry before? Republic, Bethlehem, Hana, National steel, Bradley fleets flagships as well

Report this post