Fleet Flagships

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Fleet Flagships

Unread post by Guest »

Algoma flagships were Algocen till !982 then Algowest till the equinox came out.

Unread post by Guest »

Denny wrote:The John B. Aird was built in 1983 with the bow section built while at the Port Arthur Shipyards in Thunder Bay, Ontario and the mid section was built at Collingwood. Point is, thought I read and heard that the Aird was once a flagship for Algoma until the Equinox class arrived later on?
I sailed on Algoma ships for more than 15 years and never heard of a flagship
J Kerwin

Unread post by J Kerwin »

Lake Boats 1986 lists the John B. Aird as the flagship for Algoma.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The John B. Aird was built in 1983 with the bow section built while at the Port Arthur Shipyards in Thunder Bay, Ontario and the mid section was built at Collingwood. Point is, thought I read and heard that the Aird was once a flagship for Algoma until the Equinox class arrived later on?
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

Regarding Algoma, my understanding was that the Algowest was flagship from her construction in 1982 and technically held that title at least until the Equinox class came our, even though as the Cresswell she stopped carrying passengers in her later years.
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

Actually, some could be quite old and second-hand. Case in point, the Steinbrenner Fleet in the late 60s - early 1970s. We carried passengers and dignitaries aboard the SS William A Reiss in 1973, and it may or may not have been the Flagship of the fleet. If it wasn't, then the Flagship could have been a boat launched in 1907. The Reiss had very nice guest quarters.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I’m sure all of the flagships both past and present were luxurious in their own certain and special ways! The Fitz I’m sure was luxurious in her own special ways. Of course the Paul R. Tregurtha which previously was the William J. DeLancey was nicknamed “Fancy DeLancey” due to her being luxurious! Since this subject is about Fleet Flagships, one that most never mention and talk about is Salties and their companies and fleets. What I mean is take for instance Fednav, Canfornav and also the Wagenborg fleets. Wonder if they have any ships designated as their company and fleets’ flagship? As big as those companies are and also as many ships that sail for them, I’m sure they may have somebody as their flagship? Thought I heard and read once that for Polsteam out of Poland, it was the Isa but I think now it’s someone else? Just curious.

Unread post by Guest »

Of these flagships, which were known as the most luxurious? I’ve heard the Fitz and The Col. S were well appointed

Unread post by Guest »

Scott wrote:Let's not forget the Oglebay Norton, as I believe that she was once the flagship of the Columbia fleet before moving to ASC?
Oglebay Norton's flagship was Courtney Burton.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

To answer Scott's question further down here regarding the Oglebay Norton once being a flagship for Oglebay before her sale over to ASC. This could be possible as I have heard a few people mentioning that she may have been at one time? However, I still stand by my beliefs that the Courtney Burton was the official flagship for Oglebay Norton after the sinking of the Fitzgerald and up until her sale to ASC in 2006. I was on board the Oglebay Norton during her Winter Lay-Ups in Toledo back in the 1990s decade and I can assure you that I don't seem to recall as far as ever seeing or hearing anything mentioned about her being a flagship for their fleet then. The Burton's captain BTW was Bob Tilley as he was once a mate I think aboard the Fitzgerald? I think Captain Tilley back then was their Senior Captain in the Oglebay Norton fleet? There may have been others as well that had as much seniority or greater than Captain Tilley though?
Old Man

Unread post by Old Man »

The Cliffs Victory was never a flagship for Cliffs. The last Cliffs flagship was the Edward B. Greene preceded by the William G. Mather.
Scott

Unread post by Scott »

Let's not forget the Oglebay Norton, as I believe that she was once the flagship of the Columbia fleet before moving to ASC?
J Kerwin

Unread post by J Kerwin »

For Algoma I believe it was the Algosoo, then Algolake, then John B. Aird. Before that it may have been the Algoway (unable to confirm).
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The Speer could be a temporary flagship for USS/GLF while the Blough is sidelined from its fire earlier in the year? I know for sure at 100% that the Walter J. McCarthy Jr. was once a flagship for ASC as it says that in one of my Greenwood & Dills’ Lakeboats Books! Sorry, I’m not sure just what issue and year it is but I can assure you all that there’s a page in an older version I have that lists the flagships of a few of the fleets back then! I’m sure there’s been many changes since then and of course lots of the fleets back then are now defunct but, the lists will give you an idea. I’ll try to post it later this week unless someone else has the list.
Shipwatcher News

Unread post by Shipwatcher News »

Roger Blough was flagship of USS GLF and now Great Lakes Fleet from 1972 to present. I am not sure on that current status with her being out from her fire though...

Unread post by Guest »

ASC does not have a designated flagship. That said, the the McCarthy, Indy and Spirit are the ones with the passanger quarters and the McCarthy currently has the senior permanent Captain.

Interlake succession of flagships: Harry Coulby, Elton Hoyt 2nd, John Sherwin, James R. Barker, Paul R. Tregurtha.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Adding more to the list of flagships, for the former Inland Steel fleet it was once Wilfred Sykes until probably later with the Ryerson? Once the Ryerson went back to long-term layup then it might have went back to the Sykes again unless maybe the Block? Not sure if Sykes is now the flagship or who it might be? As for the Ford fleet, I’m sure most of what was said and mentioned on the list is true regarding their flagships go. I’m sure at one point the original William Clay Ford built in the 1950s was probably once considered a flagship for them? The Cort at one time was probably a flagship for the former Bethlehem Steel fleet as well.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

You are correct as far as the Paul R. Tregurtha being the flagship for the Interlake fleet. Before the PRT, it may have been the Barker although before her lay up I’ve read that the John Sherwin was once a flagship for Interlake! As for ASC, I’ve read once that Walter J. McCarthy Jr. at one time was a flagship. Don’t know who it was before the McCarthy? Regarding USS/GLF, I’ve read and heard different reports on them as far as their flagship. The Blough I’ve read and heard along with the Speer as well. At one point, thought I read and heard years ago that they had a Commodore aboard and whatever ship it was that he was on then was considered the flagship but that’s going way back then. Not sure about these fleets but, Algoma might be Algoma Equinox? CSL at one point I think was Atlantic Huron but, with their newer Lakers it may be one of them? Lower Lakes I think would be the Cuyahoga unless they’ve made a change there? At one point, Seaway Queen years ago was flagship for the ULS group. Don’t know how long she was flagship for them as they may have had others? This hopefully will help you out in some ways! Also for Oglebay, after the Fitz was Courtney Burton. As far as I know the ON fleet never had anybody else other than the Burton as their flagship after the Fitzgerald sinking! Before the Fitz, thought I’ve read the Armco and before them the Joesph H. Frantz? Hope this all helps.

Unread post by Guest »

If I remember correctly Bradley's flagship was Carl D Bradley (later Irvin L Clymer) then replaced by the more famous Carl D Bradley.

Fleet Flagships

Unread post by Guest »

Just curious what the current flagships of all the major fleets are and what are some of their precursors. Interlakes current is the Paul Tregurtha. I would imagine that before that it was the James R Barker. what were the other previous interlake steamship flagships. I know that the Fitzgerald was the flagship for
Colombia and was replaced by the Burton then by the Columbia star I believe. What came before the Fitz? I know that the William Irvin was Great Lakes fleets flagship until the Blough. What were other Great Lakes feet flagships? I don’t know much about American steamship. Also what are some of the flagships for the defunct fleets? I know Shegano was the Oberstar, Cliffs was the Cliffs Victory, Fords for awhile was the Lee A but what about the Benson and Henry before? Republic, Bethlehem, Hana, National steel, Bradley fleets flagships as well