Issue with Speer?

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Darryl

Re: Issue with Speer?

Unread post by Darryl »

Footers and Rough Weather: Opinion - From my experience, the big boats handle the higher seas better than the ships that preceded them due to all that additional freeboard. But they could vibrate and shake a lot and have to checked down. When light and caught in abeam seas, major rock n roll. That bridge, 10 stories up from the keel can travel port to starboard quite a ways. I felt the masters tried to avoid those conditions.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

hugh3 wrote:I don't believe they want boats at the dock in Gary during rough weather.
When I was on the Clarke in the 70s we were in there during a surge. The winches sure got a workout. Surprised no cables broke.
hugh3

Unread post by hugh3 »

I don't believe they want boats at the dock in Gary during rough weather.
Scott

Unread post by Scott »

This might be off topic a bit, but I have always been curious how the footers handle rough weather? I know that these days ships are more than likely to anchor than travel through a storm, but I've just always been curious how the 1,000 foot ships work in rough weather.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Guest wrote:Anyone know what is up with the Speer? She was at anchor a long time and now looks to be going back to Gary.
I'm guessing weather. They had 18 ft. waves on Lake Michigan and when the lake is rough, you get storm surges in the slip. Where she was stopped in the lake is a popular anchoring spot.
MilwBob

Unread post by MilwBob »

Did you see all the news reports of 16-20 foot waves on Lake Michigan?

Issue with Speer?

Unread post by Guest »

Anyone know what is up with the Speer? She was at anchor a long time and now looks to be going back to Gary.