American shipbuilding

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
William Lafferty

Re: American shipbuilding

Unread post by William Lafferty »

Shipbuilding at the Chicago yard ended with the completion of the World War I "laker" program, the Lake Giddings the last vessel built, delivered in May 1920. It built a few workboats for its own use and fabricated some barge hulls after that, but was exclusively a repair yard until the end.

Unread post by Guest »

Thank you, that’s interesting to see the location which is not far from the skyway toll bridge. They didn’t build any of the 1000 footers there right as they would’ve been land locked. I seem to recall that they built some of the super structures there for the 1000 footers and sent to lorain though.

Unread post by Guest »

There was indeed an AmShip yard in South Chicago. It's the angled slip where Morton Salt is located and directly across from the old Rail-to-Water dock. The yard closed in the Fall of 1981 and I believe the Cliffs Victory was the last ship to use the yard.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7111704 ... a=!3m1!1e3

- Brian

American shipbuilding

Unread post by Guest »

Where was the amship yard in Chicago located? I’m sure it’s totally gone now as that’s been quit a few years ago that they were in operation.