Harry Coulby Question

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Harry Coulby Question

Unread post by Guest »

It's quite possible that the Harry Coulby took a grain cargo out to a St. Lawrence river port, as she certainly was capable of doing so. Normally she was in the grain trade to Buffalo as you mentioned.

During the Fall of 1981 US Steel sent their Supers down the Seaway with grain and backhaul with iron ore from Point Noire. Even Ford Motor Company's John Dykstra and Ernest R. Breech made a trip down the Seaway in October of 1981.
badger

Re: Harry Coulby Question

Unread post by badger »

the mauthe took at least one load of grain to montreal in the 90s

Harry Coulby Question

Unread post by Guest »

In the 2022 MHSD Calendar there is a picture of the Harry Coulby loading grain at Huron, Ohio in 1981. Does anyone know where this grain was taken? I thought that most of the grain loaded there went down the Seaway but I don't ever recall hearing about the Coulby making any Seaway runs.

If I recall correctly, the Coulby was used in the grain trade during the early 1980s as the demand for iron ore plummetted and that the J. L. Mauthe took over this role after the Coulby was idled. Later, Kinsman purchased the Coulby and renamed it Kinsman Enterprise. I always found it interesting that Interlake sold this vessel to a competitor unlike the more recent practices of shipping fleets, particularly Canadian fleets, of scrapping vessels to keep them away from competitors. Was there any sort of grain contracts given to Interlake by Kinsman to facilitate this sale? I believe the Mauthe remained in the grain trade until its conversion into the barge Pathfinder.