Soo Locks Postcard Question

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Soo Locks Postcard Question

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:...I would say this view is from the early 1960s.
You can see the cofferdam for the construction of the Poe Lock. I've read that it was built in 1961 or 1962.

Unread post by Guest »

Here is another postcard view of the Joseph S. Wood about to enter the MacArthur Lock. Based upon the International Bridge, Poe Lock construction, and with this ship being sold to the Ford fleet to become the John Dykstra in 1966, I would say this view is from the early 1960s. The vantage point seems to be pretty high up. How high was that forest fire spotting tower at the Soo Locks? Could this image have possibly been taken just before the original image posted to this thread?

It is interesting to see the changes that have taken place at the Soo during the 50 years since this postcard was made. Upon first visiting this area in the early 1990s, I don't ever recall the Soo Tour Trains being located at the west end of the locks as I seem to recall them arriving and departing from almost directly across from the visitors center. Perhaps, they were later r located? I may be wrong, however, but I do believe they stopped running sometime during the mid-1990s.
Attachments
04-1445682mWRES.jpg
Old Man

Unread post by Old Man »

I always thought she looked nice too. I remember her passing us, downbound, as we tried to beat her to the Locks. We could't beat her.

Unread post by Guest »

I always had a fondness for the Richard M. Marshall later Joseph S. Wood and then John Dykstra and finally Benson Ford (2). I always found the vessel to have somewhat pleasing lines from some perspectives as is shown in the postcard image but somewhat ungainly looking from other perspectives. Just my personal observations from seeing this ship pass by Algonac nearly once or twice a week during the late 1970s to early 1980s while it was employed delivering raw material to Ford's steel plant at Dearborn, Michigan.
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

Joseph S. Wood (black boat) and James Davidson.

Unread post by Guest »

I have to ask - what are the two boats on the different post cards? The images are too pixilated when I zoom in to read the names. Thanks.
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

There was a old forest fire spotting tower there for a few years.

Soo Locks Postcard Question

Unread post by Guest »

In looking at postcards of the Soo Locks that were produced in the 1960s several of from a vantage point that appears to be on the opposite side of Portage Avenue. I have attached two typical cards taken from this vantage point that I'm assuming was from the top of one of the buildings on that side of the street. Does anyone know if this is or is not the case? Is it possible that these views were taken from different vantage points?
Attachments
02-244_TN.jpg
02-151_TN.jpg