Fitz's Departure from Superior

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Fitz's Departure from Superior

Unread post by Guest »

Denny, you are correct about Dick Bibby He was the Hanna vessel agent at Duluth and was watching the boat depart from his office in the Alworth Building in Duluth. There was about five miles distance etween Dick and the Fitz. He noted all of the details of the Fitz and her cargo on his position spread sheet. That document is currently in his collection at the Jim Hill Library. University of Wisconsin at Superior. If I remember correctly, he also had some comments about the weather at the time of departure.
Jerry
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Not certain of this but, if memory is correct I seem to recall on my DVDs of the Fitzgerald that Woodrush skipper Jimmy Hobaugh mentions there was a Dick Bibby if that sounds correct and makes any sense? He says that Dick Bibby saw the Fitz depart Superior after loading on the 9th! Anyone ever hear of this or can confirm if this sounds right or not?

Unread post by Guest »

The crew of the Wilfred Sykes witnessed them depart as they loaded across from the Fitz that day. Captain Paquette of the Sykes mentions in his book watching the deck crew working as they departed

Unread post by Guest »

Wasn't it Mike Armagost's wife at the pier?
Scott

Unread post by Scott »

Andrew wrote:I heard that one of the crewmembers' wife was at the Superior entry when the Fifz cleared on November 9; anyone know if this is correct or if there were any other eyewitness to her last departure besides the dock workers?
I seem to recall reading in "Mighty Fitz" that one of the crews wives had dropped her husband off at the gate of the dock facility. Whether this was fluff for the book or actual fact I'm not sure.
Andrew

Fitz's Departure from Superior

Unread post by Andrew »

I heard that one of the crewmembers' wife was at the Superior entry when the Fifz cleared on November 9; anyone know if this is correct or if there were any other eyewitness to her last departure besides the dock workers?