Edmund Fitzgerald Sinking - New Information

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Edmund Fitzgerald Sinking - New Information

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:The shoal area does exist.
From the NTSB Report:

“Canadian Hydrographic Service Chart 2310 shows this shoal area known as North Bank in considerably more detail than does Lakes Survey Chart No. 9 and the bottom contour lines were confirmed by the 1976 Canadian Hydrographic Service survey of the area. No isolated spots of shoal water were located, and all soundings of less than 10 fathoms fell within the 10 fathom curve shown on Canadian Chart 2310.”

“The Canadian Hydrographic Service survey shows that the water depth at this charted “6-fathom spot” is 52 meters (28.4 fathoms). . .Furthermore, the position of the charted “6-fathom spot” is more than 5 miles west of the Fitzgerald’s 1520 position testified to by the Anderson’s mate and her 1540 position testified to by the Anderson’s master.”

It wasn’t 6-fathoms, and the Fitzgerald wasn’t there.
So many conflicting reports on the shoal area it's size and the water depth i just don't know what is fact and what is misinformation.

Unread post by Guest »

I attended Michigan Tech starting in 1979. The link below is to one of the professor's I had, he believed they struck bottom as well. They had researched and dove the area finding rivets etc from a strike. Was never proven, but the theory goes back this far.

http://www.me.mtu.edu/emeriti/hainault/index.html

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:The shoal area does exist.
From the NTSB Report:

“Canadian Hydrographic Service Chart 2310 shows this shoal area known as North Bank in considerably more detail than does Lakes Survey Chart No. 9 and the bottom contour lines were confirmed by the 1976 Canadian Hydrographic Service survey of the area. No isolated spots of shoal water were located, and all soundings of less than 10 fathoms fell within the 10 fathom curve shown on Canadian Chart 2310.”

“The Canadian Hydrographic Service survey shows that the water depth at this charted “6-fathom spot” is 52 meters (28.4 fathoms). . .Furthermore, the position of the charted “6-fathom spot” is more than 5 miles west of the Fitzgerald’s 1520 position testified to by the Anderson’s mate and her 1540 position testified to by the Anderson’s master.”

It wasn’t 6-fathoms, and the Fitzgerald wasn’t there.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hi here you Dawn and know what you mean. To be honest and I hate to say it but, my interest in the Fitz and other Shipwrecks just isn’t what it used to be anymore! When my Mom was alive, I had a TV and DVD player in my room that I could watch them on. After my Mom passed away, my brother decided to save money he took away my cable TV and now my DVD player don’t work the same as it once did. I can still play and watch them but, now the sound is horrible with a scratching like sound yet I have a VHS player with it too. So far so good at least for now with that. Point is, the only way now I can watch any DVDs is on my computer screen which for an hour or more I figure the time just isn’t worth it as it’s too hard on my back and stuff. Just a shame I can’t watch them like I used to do. Now they just sit and collect dust. I am glad to hear that you and your son Michael got to see the museums you wanted to see. Believe it or not, I’ve still yet to get down to Toledo to see the National Museum! Someday I’d like to go and see that one and the one up at Rogers City as I’ve never been to that one and so badly want to see the Bradley bell. Was hoping to meet Frank Mays before he passed away! Glad I got to meet Dennis Hale before he passed away!
Dawn

Unread post by Dawn »

Denny wrote:... I'm sure you probably knew Dawn the Fitz was once chartered to ON but may have forgotten about it which is understandable.
Actually, I was living in Oklahoma at the time, and didn't know much more than a freighter sank during a major storm on Lake Superior. When my late son, Michael, and I took a trip on Badger (2003) he was astonished to learn that the wreck had been found and the bell retrieved. From that discovery, my vacation plans were scuttled and we visited every maritime museum from Door County to Whitefish Point! That said, I still dont have the fascination so many have for the Fitz.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

In videos and DVD collections I have of the Fitz, Bernie Cooper of the Anderson swears to it that the Fitz either bottomed out on the shoal or as he put it, had a stress fracture in its hull after running through the shoal area. That was during an interview he gave from his home down in Florida just before he passed away in the 1990s. To answer Dawn’s question which was already answered by Guest, the Fitz when built and launched was on a charter for 25 yeas to ON with Northwestern Mutual life insurance as the owners of the vessel. Just repeating what Guest said with his newspaper clipping he added. Also, I’m sure you probably knew Dawn the Fitz was once chartered to ON but may have forgotten about it which is understandable.

Unread post by Guest »

Paul tbay wrote:https://www.lakesuperior.com/the-lake/m ... 25feature/

_ an article about ships sinking, mentions surveys of wreck of overturned stern section showed no witness of hitting the shoal. Although I haven’t seen any photos of the wrecked stern at all to say that is true_
Fitz Captain reported a list taking on water fence rails down vents off right after traveling over the shoal area all sure signs she bottomed out. Large section of the mid section of the Fitz is in pieces that's where the hull damage from bottoming out could be. There could also be hull damage under the bow section. We know the Fitz was not a well built ship that needed repairs but my best guess is she bottomed out over the shoal that's where her problems began and i believe Captain Walton, as a former President, i don't believe he's telling false stories.

Unread post by Guest »

The shoal area does exist.

Unread post by Guest »

Dawn wrote:I find Northwest Mutual Life Insurance as the owning company. How does ON fit in?
EF2.jpg
Dawn

Unread post by Dawn »

Guest wrote:New youtube video has been released on the Edmund Fitzgerald sinking at 18:10 it is discussed that red paint was found by divers on the shoaling area but was kept quiet because Oglebay Norton would be held liable..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kzQi97sbnE
I find Northwest Mutual Life Insurance as the owning company. How does ON fit in?
Paul tbay

Unread post by Paul tbay »

https://www.lakesuperior.com/the-lake/m ... 25feature/

_ an article about ships sinking, mentions surveys of wreck of overturned stern section showed no witness of hitting the shoal. Although I haven’t seen any photos of the wrecked stern at all to say that is true_

Unread post by Guest »

The divers must have been very lucky to find that exact spot on a course that isn’t known, over a shoal that doesn’t exist. . .

They should send that team to find the Griffon.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:That rumour has been around for decades, so it's nothing new.
The information coming from Captain Walton at 18:10 who claims to have heard from a source involved in the investigation of the shoal area after the Fitz disaster is in fact new information. He said that source claims "divers found all kinds of red bottom paint all over the shoal area." I have yet to hear this in decades of research on the Fitz sinking and in my opinion Captain Walton in his position as president most certainly had his sources and he sounds very credible.

Unread post by Guest »

That rumour has been around for decades, so it's nothing new.

Edmund Fitzgerald Sinking - New Information

Unread post by Guest »

New youtube video has been released on the Edmund Fitzgerald sinking at 18:10 it is discussed that red paint was found by divers on the shoaling area but was kept quiet because Oglebay Norton would be held liable...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kzQi97sbnE