Great Lakes Towing tugs in Sturgeon Bay

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
badger

Re: Great Lakes Towing tugs in Sturgeon Bay

Unread post by badger »

a Captain told me the same story 25 years ago about glt

Unread post by Guest »

I think I read somewhere with GLT that even if a Skipper says he’s not using a tug I”m guessing Chicago or Cleveland that they will position the tugs a certain way at this particular dock just to make it more difficult for the particular ship!

Unread post by Guest »

GLT seems to be trying to force owners hands in Sturgeon Bay to stay within the contract. Rumor has it though the shipyard is not pleased with this play. Ultimately and hopefully the Shipyard prevails when it comes to choosing the operator they best feel fit to move vessels in and out of there Dry Docks and around their berths. I believe GLT will be hard pressed to hold the owners to the contract if the shipyard ultimately makes the call who they prefer as their vendor. Sarter (ex Selvick) has decades of experience in Sturgeon Bay while GLT hasn't serviced the port consistently in about the same amount of time. Sarter also is little threat; if any, to GLT outside of the greater Green Bay area. No doubt GLT also "smells the green" when it comes to the new USN vessels along with the existing LCS's that will be built at Bay and Marinette and are trying to cash in there also. Personal opinion though is that it really is a dirty move on GLTs behalf.
KH

Unread post by KH »

I understand GLT's lake-wide towing contract, but wouldn't the towing contract at Fincantieri Bay Shipbuilding for yard work be held by the shipyard as a whole? I don't see the vessel owners separately arranging for tugs for yard work with their respective vessels; it would make far more sense for the shipyard to arrange and directly pay for tugs as needed and then roll up the charges to the vessel owners in the final repair bill. Under those circumstances, then GLT's lake-wide contract would be irrelevant unless they were to hold a contract directly with the shipyard.
volunteer

Unread post by volunteer »

I accidentally deleted a post that said something to the effect of "Monopolies are illegal" in reference to tug rates. Sorry, I hit the wrong button; it was an unintentional deletion.

That said, yes monopolies are illegal but contracts are not. And Great Lakes Towing offers a "lakes wide" towing contract that provides substantial (30% to 40%) rate discounts if you exclusively use their tugs in any port that they provide service to. So any vessel or fleet covered by one of these contracts is locked into using only Great Lakes Towing.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Now companies can pay three times the rates that Sarter charges.
Why would they if Sarter is cheaper?

Unread post by guest »

yes your are right about the rates, however does sarter have tugs stationed any where else on the great lakes? use us in sturgeon bay or we wont service you in toledo

Unread post by Guest »

Now companies can pay three times the rates that Sarter charges.
Portdrydock

Unread post by Portdrydock »

Today’s news says the G tugs are here to stay.

Great Lakes Towing tugs in Sturgeon Bay

Unread post by Guest »

The Great Lakes Towing Co tugs Nevada, Alaska and Ontario just arrived in Sturgeon Bay and I have a few questions about it. First off will the Ontario stay in Sturgeon Ba with the Alaska and Nevada. 2nd why is Great Lakes Towing expanding into Sturgeon Bay and lastly will this mean Sarter Marine Towing will get less business?