Winfield Scott Flags

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
RCRVRP

Re: Winfield Scott Flags

Unread post by RCRVRP »

Is it the law that a flag from the country it is registered in must be flown?
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Jared wrote:I think that the American Flag is flown much more on this vessel than the Canadian flag or the Interlake flag. Considering that she had a long journey and was not flying the other two until she got into the Seaway, it's very possible that the American Flag was tattered and they have not gotten a new one yet.
Screenshot_20211124-231010_Chrome.jpg
Yes I suspect that the flag was just caught in a storm or wind storm and hadn't been replaced yet. Photos posted on facebook show if flying a new flag as of yesterday (11/24).
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

I think that the American Flag is flown much more on this vessel than the Canadian flag or the Interlake flag. Considering that she had a long journey and was not flying the other two until she got into the Seaway, it's very possible that the American Flag was tattered and they have not gotten a new one yet.
Screenshot_20211124-231010_Chrome.jpg
guesty

Unread post by guesty »

badger wrote:where is the winfield scott today, 11/24/21? i cant find it on A.I.S. or is it still a military vessel flying the interlake house flag?
Eastern end of Lake Ontario as of 10:30pm eastern on 11/24. Using the name LT 805 on AIS

Unread post by Guest »

As of Wednesday night it was in Lake Ontario and shows up as LT805.
And yes the US flag in the photo sure appears to be tattered.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

guest wrote:Jared, I don't agree. Interlake Steamship is a pretty classy outit. And as I comw from the USN, where regs are regs, I don't think they would fly a US flag that was "tattered". I am retired Navy & I know our traditons.
The leaders at Interlake are well aware of customs & regulations. I think they are very proud of their new acquistion and wouldn't do anything to embarash their fine reputation. Respectfully, Mike
It's not a very high resolution photo, but it sure looks as if the flag is almost torn into thirds. I would think that meets the definition of tattered.

https://boatnerd.com/boatnerd-news-nove ... id=1&pid=1

Unread post by guest »

Jared, I don't agree. Interlake Steamship is a pretty classy outit. And as I comw from the USN, where regs are regs, I don't think they would fly a US flag that was "tattered". I am retired Navy & I know our traditons.
The leaders at Interlake are well aware of customs & regulations. I think they are very proud of their new acquistion and wouldn't do anything to embarash their fine reputation. Respectfully, Mike
badger

Unread post by badger »

where is the winfield scott today, 11/24/21? i cant find it on A.I.S. or is it still a military vessel flying the interlake house flag?
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

She was flying the Interlake Steamship house flag and a Canadian flag along with the tattered American Flag.

Winfield Scott Flags

Unread post by guest »

Good day! This morning I was delighted to see the picure of this ex Army tug that has been purchased by Interlake Steamship Company upbound in the St. Lawrende River. At a casual glance, I thought I saw a tattered U S flag on the main mast. However, once I got my nagnifying glass out, there appear to be two pennants, the top perhaps a commisioning pennant and the lower one perhaps apersonal pennant,like
a commodore's pennant. The is a good looking tug. Can anyoe help me identity these flags? Thanks , Mike