Duluth Aerial Lift Bridge

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
tugboatdonny

Re: Duluth Aerial Lift Bridge

Unread post by tugboatdonny »

As a sailor who occassionally comes into Duluth, I really enjoy hearing them read all the facts and information about my vessel. I think youre in the minority of people who dislike it.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

hausen wrote:
Guest wrote:A question for those who operate the Duluth Aerial Lift Bridge. Is it really necessary to give a complete information rundown of the ships that pass under the bridge? I find it so annoying especially when there are but two or three folks in the area.
The practice of informational public address announcements about passing ships is not carried out by the Aerial Lift Bridge operators. Said narration is a public service provided by the dedicated and knowledgeable staff of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Lake Superior Maritime Visitors’ Center. It may not be strictly necessary, but then again neither are many other enjoyable and enriching aspects of society. Said narration is a cherished Canal Park marine museum tradition that goes back 50 years. Similar narration traditions reach back even further into history with at least one bayfront restaurant which once stood nearby. Similar narration is also a service that used to be provided by the ticket sellers at the nearby original headquarters of local harbor tour boats.

It’s unfortunate that you find it annoying. The practice constitutes a long-lived and rich tradition that seems to be well-appreciated by most people who experience it, especially those who come away from the experience having learned things they find interesting about the maritime and industrial underpinnings of local/regional society.
I agree with Hausen. It's a great service and the techs have a great passion for the job. It's nice to find out info on the ships if you don't know their history. I've been doing this Boatnerd thing for 63 yrs. and I still find the info great.
hausen

Unread post by hausen »

Guest wrote:A question for those who operate the Duluth Aerial Lift Bridge. Is it really necessary to give a complete information rundown of the ships that pass under the bridge? I find it so annoying especially when there are but two or three folks in the area.
The practice of informational public address announcements about passing ships is not carried out by the Aerial Lift Bridge operators. Said narration is a public service provided by the dedicated and knowledgeable staff of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Lake Superior Maritime Visitors’ Center. It may not be strictly necessary, but then again neither are many other enjoyable and enriching aspects of society. Said narration is a cherished Canal Park marine museum tradition that goes back 50 years. Similar narration traditions reach back even further into history with at least one bayfront restaurant which once stood nearby. Similar narration is also a service that used to be provided by the ticket sellers at the nearby original headquarters of local harbor tour boats.

It’s unfortunate that you find it annoying. The practice constitutes a long-lived and rich tradition that seems to be well-appreciated by most people who experience it, especially those who come away from the experience having learned things they find interesting about the maritime and industrial underpinnings of local/regional society.

Duluth Aerial Lift Bridge

Unread post by Guest »

A question for those who operate the Duluth Aerial Lift Bridge. Is it really necessary to give a complete information rundown of the ships that pass under the bridge? I find it so annoying especially when there are but two or three folks in the area.