Interlake Crews

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
JMarx

Re: Interlake Crews

Unread post by JMarx »

Guest wrote:I think they are already a touch too loose with the information they publish on Facebook and in the newsletters that go out. What was meant to be an employee only newsletter wound up being forwarded to boatnerds by a small number of people employed here, not to mention the other emails that get passed around to build "street cred".
I have no issue with your overall commentary...totally understand the sensitivity to an inquiry for a complete crew list. (even as an innocent question) To the specific quote above, not sure if that was directed at me for providing a link to the Interlake newsletter or just a general comment about what shipping companies share. If it was specific to me, I apologize but will also mention that there was no digging required to find the newsletter...it's simply published on the Interlake website 'media' section for anyone to consume. (along with videos and other announcements) I would hope anyone mentioned / featured in the newsletter is aware of that...
Dawn

Unread post by Dawn »

Years ago, when I had a Flickr account, I discovered photos an Interlake crew member posted and commented on them. He replied and, for some time, he would answer my questions and add greatly to my understanding of Great Lakes shipping and the boats. Even back then he resented attempts by the public to identify and follow him. Respecting his need for privacy, I never asked his name and he never volunteered it. I was content to accept what he felt free to share (photos and information) and am still grateful for his generosity.
hugh3

Unread post by hugh3 »

There used to be a seniority list but not for public consumption.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Totally agree with you Guest and your comments 100% well said by you and Amen to that as well. As I sat here and viewed and watched video today of the Lee A. Tregurtha and James R. Barker arrivals today for Winter Lay Up I immediately gave them both my two thumbs up and said also "Great Job this season and now you are all home safe and sound and you can now spend time again with family and friends and enjoy the time off as well." A Job well done this season. Now you all deserve your time, rest and relaxation. So enjoy it you all earned and deserve your time off!

Unread post by Guest »

I think they are already a touch too loose with the information they publish on Facebook and in the newsletters that go out. What was meant to be an employee only newsletter wound up being forwarded to boatnerds by a small number of people employed here, not to mention the other emails that get passed around to build "street cred".

I'm here to haul dirt. I'm not a movie star, nor do I want to be. I'd prefer being left alone to do my work, collect my check, and go home to my wife and kids at the end of it all without all the goofy facebook posts and scuttlebutts documenting my every move. To be honest, I think the company works harder to appease the boatnerds than it does its own employees.

Many ask why a lot of us aren't friendly to boatnerds. Please consider the points I've made, and what it is that we came out here to do. It's nothing personal, we are simply trying to keep the kids fed and the heat on while working in an environment where morale is at an all time low. Cut us some slack.

Unread post by Guest »

Couldn't the issuing of complete crew lists without a legitimate reason open up companies to civil liability issues in relation to an employee's privacy complaint? What would be the need to publish a crew list other than to appease the curiosity of hobbyists? Do companies in other market sectors publish lists of their employees outside of their upper management and/or their public relations contacts? The only crew assignments I have ever seen issued were for captain and chief engineer assignments. As these positions can be considered key management figures in a shipping company, the release of this information seems to make more sense than publishing complete crew lists. I don't believe any shipping company on the lakes has ever published complete crew lists other than in the aftermath of a disaster.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Does a factory or a store or an office company publish a list of their employees on internet ? It is not of public interest .
Why should a crewlist be published ?
Because we're boatnerds! We love everything about these amazing ships and the brave men and women that make them go! :)
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

JMarx wrote:
clarkjol wrote:At one time, Interlake published a company newsletter on a monthly basis and listed a number of crew personnel. I imagine if such a publication is still available it would be on the net.
Here is a link to the latest Interlake company publication from it's website:

http://www.interlake-steamship.com/imag ... -Final.pdf

No crew lists but lots of company chatter of course!
Thank you for posting that link. It is refreshing to see a company that projects positivity, leadership in the industry and still maintains a family atmosphere.
JMarx

Unread post by JMarx »

clarkjol wrote:At one time, Interlake published a company newsletter on a monthly basis and listed a number of crew personnel. I imagine if such a publication is still available it would be on the net.
Here is a link to the latest Interlake company publication from it's website:

http://www.interlake-steamship.com/imag ... -Final.pdf

No crew lists but lots of company chatter of course!

Unread post by Guest »

I work in the media industry and many of my younger colleagues use social media such as Twitter and Instagram to make family, friends and the public aware of the work they do and also to add additional information on upcoming weather. I'm sure there must younger crew members on lake vessels who also use social media.

- Brian
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

A bit off subject but, Algoma publishes its newsletter Bear Facts on its website and shows picture of its ship crews and personnel. Also, CSL and Fednav both due and have respective newsletters on their sites.
clarkjol

Unread post by clarkjol »

At one time, Interlake published a company newsletter on a monthly basis and listed a number of crew personnel. I imagine if such a publication is still available it would be on the net.

Unread post by Guest »

Does a factory or a store or an office company publish a list of their employees on internet ? It is not of public interest .
Why should a crewlist be published ?
leafs84

Interlake Crews

Unread post by leafs84 »

I see a lot of old rosters from the 60's that list the names of all the crew members on the boats. Does anyone have the names of the crews on the Interlake boats? I used to see some information on facebook from the Big Paul - (my favorite) but I don't see too much these days. Maybe if there is someone reading this that knows some names that wouldn't mind sharing the crew roster with us? It would be so cool to see the family names and some of the more common ones out there.

- Dee