Boats off Vermilion

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Kyle

Re: Boats off Vermilion

Unread post by Kyle »

Wow, thanks for the info. My wife and I have enjoyed learning what goes on out there from your replies.

By the way, at least one boat was still out there at sunset tonight.
ML

Unread post by ML »

FWE wrote:On the Hook - ahhh time for rest and relaxation. For the Skipper a chance for much needed rest and paper work catchup not to mention jump in the late night Poker game. For the Chief engineer most of his machinery at rest plus his monthly fuel consumption report will look nice. The Crew will also catch up on laundry, start vessel house keeping duties and be contributors also in the Game. Is it’s the final trip they will start putting away stuff. Galley dept life goes on and maybe more customers each meal especially this morning . Toasty warm inside this time is season, it’s been a long one so they’ll be anxious not to stay out there much longer and get that “last one” in and head to the barn.
Spot on! You must've sailed......
FWE

Unread post by FWE »

On the Hook - ahhh time for rest and relaxation. For the Skipper a chance for much needed rest and paper work catchup not to mention jump in the late night Poker game. For the Chief engineer most of his machinery at rest plus his monthly fuel consumption report will look nice. The Crew will also catch up on laundry, start vessel house keeping duties and be contributors also in the Game. Is it’s the final trip they will start putting away stuff. Galley dept life goes on and maybe more customers each meal especially this morning . Toasty warm inside this time is season, it’s been a long one so they’ll be anxious not to stay out there much longer and get that “last one” in and head to the barn.
RCRVRP

Unread post by RCRVRP »

Very interesting information here about the coal loading industry in Sandusky.

http://sanduskyhistory.blogspot.com/201 ... docks.html

Unread post by Guest »

Waiting to load coal in Sandusky.
Kyle

Boats off Vermilion

Unread post by Kyle »

Hello,

I live in Vermilion, and we walk our dogs in a lakefront park every day. For the last 4-5 days there have been multiple self unloading freighters anchored out in the lake. I'm guessing maybe 5 miles offshore.

A couple days ago the weather report on the TV forecast gale force winds out of the south. We figured the ships would surely move on to wherever they are going before the big winds hit, but they are still there.

Does anybody know why they are doing that? It has to be expensive to just sit out there, and unpleasant for the crews to just sit out there.

Thanks