Sturgeon Bay Activity

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Bob+

Re: Sturgeon Bay Activity

Unread post by Bob+ »

The barge Maumee and tug Victory arrived at Bay Ship on Friday morning from the bay of Green Bay and it backed into berth 7 with the assist from Sarter Marine tugs. The barge Erie Trader and tug Clyde Vanekevort arrived of of Bay Ship early afternoon and it backed into berth 1.
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

Sounds like the Alpena could be making a few runs before a layup in Cleveland.
Bob+

Unread post by Bob+ »

Tuesday afternoon, the Badger left Bay Ship and headed back to Ludington. Sarter Marine Towing was towing the Badger back. The William Gaynor was on the bow and the Donald Sarter was on the stern and the Jimmy L was leading breaking the ice as the tow headed out to Lake Michigan. Also the Alpena has steam up today and yard crews removed the staging from around the forward mast.
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

Unread post by Guest »

Does anybody know who is going to be in sturgeon bay for layup?

Unread post by Guest »

Well, they are building vessels too
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

No I’d say it’s not you Guest as I agree! A very light lay up list this year for Sturgeon Bay. It appears then from the light list from Sturgeon Bay that probably Toledo, possibly Erie and Ashtabula may be the main spots with the bulk of the US fleet for layup? Also, Ashtabula has been a hot spot and popular layup for LLT/GRN ships as they have some sort of a facility there. This also takes Sarnia out as LLT/GRN used to lay up lots of their ships there but not so much anymore. My point is Sarnia don’t see or get as many LLT/GRN ships as it used to. Even Algoma at one time used to lay up lots of their stuff in Sarnia. Not so much now days.

Unread post by Guest »

Is it just me or does Bay shipbuilding winter layup list seem a little light this year? Especially only 2 footers
Guest_SB

Sturgeon Bay Activity

Unread post by Guest_SB »

A few happenings have happened around Bay Ship recently.

The tug Albert is now in the small graving dock.

The ferry Mary Ann Market went out into the bay of Green Bay today, returning to the yard.

The Badger and the Alpena both undocked from the large graving dock today. The Badger is on berth 2 and the Alpena on the face.

No new arrivals yet!