Twin ports winter layup

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Twin ports winter layup

Unread post by Guest »

PRT appears to be tied up at the south side of the Duluth Cargo Connect dock. The Century is showing a Superior destination, so that would seem to indicate she will lay up on the Wisconsin side of the harbor. The Lakehead Pipeline dock would probably be a good guess.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Harbor Lookout has both the Tregurtha and Century listed on its website for Winter Layup yet each one so far, they also don’t list or show yet what docks they’re laying up at? Also on the Century, if you look carefully and closely they still list and show them as loading at CN Ore Dock #6 sort of like what you said as far as from her last trip and visit to Duluth.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks guys your input and information was very helpful and appreciated thanks so very much for your help guys. Now, if only I can catch the Paul R. Tregurtha coming in LIVE today for layup. I’m doing my best today to track her all the way to Duluth but, got tons of stuff to do and probably will miss them once they arrive. At least I know on You Tube they’ll be a video of them but, just enjoy watching it Live on the Web Cameras!
Bulldog

Unread post by Bulldog »

The American century will more than likely go to the lakehead pipeline dock for layup. The Paul r tregurtha is scheduled for Duluth layup so probably will go to the port terminal. To answer Denny’s question about the port terminal there is room for at least 6 ships there but they don’t get that many ships in the twin ports for layup anymore so there is always plenty of room for 1000 footers.
hausen

Unread post by hausen »

Denny wrote:Just checked Harbor Lookout and they're showing the American Century due at Duluth on Sunday, January 16th at 2 P.M. however it also shows them "loading ore pellets at CN Duluth Ore Dock also!" Could this then be an error as I don't believe they will keep the Soo Locks open past the closing date and deadline of January 15th?
The semi-automated software that assists the people who maintain the Harbor Lookout schedule sometimes seems to doggedly retain sub-captions that pertain to ships' previous visits, even if a new informational blurb/caption for the upcoming visit was entered/created. This is almost certainly what has happened here; if I'm not mistaken the previous time American Century visited Duluth-Superior she loaded at CN in Duluth. When she arrives on January 16th, it seems like a safe bet to expect American Century to go into winter lay up at the Pipeline Dock / Ogdensburg Pier in Superior without loading anywhere first.

Unread post by Guest »

American Century now headed for Superior with arrival on January 16 according to its ais.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just checked Harbor Lookout and they're showing the American Century due at Duluth on Sunday, January 16th at 2 P.M. however it also shows them "loading ore pellets at CN Duluth Ore Dock also!" Could this then be an error as I don't believe they will keep the Soo Locks open past the closing date and deadline of January 15th?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well, besides the Paul R Tregurtha laying up in Duluth this winter you can add in another one and 1,000 footer as well. The American Century left from Conneaut this morning and is showing a Superior destination on their AIS via Marine Traffic's website. I think they are expected to arrive sometime on January 16 give or take? Not sure where they would go for lay-up in Superior however, I recall that usually an ASC footer seems to be laying up yearly at the Lakehead Pipeline Dock or Enbridge Dock that is whatever they call it now days? So, my guess hope I'm right here is maybe the Century at the Lakehead Pipeline Dock this Winter? So now you should see and have I think it is 5 vessels if I am correct spending the winter in lay-up at Duluth-Superior? I'm not counting the Ryerson sorry to say since she's in long-term lay-up only the active vessels and the Hon. James L. Oberstar arrived BTW at Nicholson's Ecorse Dock for layup today also. So, the Oberstar won't be up in Duluth-Superior this year and Winter for Lay-Up. Hope that all of my information helps out!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just checked with Marine Traffic's website and YES indeed they are showing a Duluth-Superior destination for the Paul R. Tregurtha now! However, I am still unsure just where in the Twin Ports they will be at as there is still nothing that I am aware of on MERC's website. I wonder if the Paul R. Tregurtha could layup at some other location in the Port then such as the Barker going to the Port Terminal? I'm not familiar with some of the docks in Duluth and not used to seeing as is the case with the Barker, them going to the Port Terminal for Lay-Up instead of to the MERC Coal Terminal Dock. So, unless someone with more information than I have knows the exact spot of layup for the PRT then, I am in the fog yet on this one!
Bulldog

Unread post by Bulldog »

The Paul r tregurtha is probably going to layup at the merc dock Don’t see it on the layup list for Erie or sturgeon bay and usually don’t see interlake ships layup in Toledo.

Unread post by Guest »

Unless I missed an announcement elsewhere, I suspect we’ll see the Paul R. Tregurtha layup in the Twin Ports… possibly at Midwest Energy.

I also noticed that Fraser moved the Ryerson to the end of their channel, making room for at least two ships. We’ll see the Lee Tregurtha take one spot. Perhaps the Hon. James L. Oberstar will take the second spot (like she did in 2021), if she can unload and get through the Soo before closure.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I see now on Harbor Lookout’s website that the James R. Barker will be at the Port Terminal for Winter Lay-Up. I can understand them not laying up at the MERC Coal Terminal in Superior this Winter but still, just seems odd not to have an Interlake 1,000 footer at MERC this winter. I know it’s happened before in the past but, not very often to where MERC would not have a ship at its dock for the Winter. Anyone know the last time a ship did not lay up at MERC for the Winter? Seem to recall not too long ago?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Anybody hear or know where the James R. Barker will be laying up at in the Twin Ports this Winter? I'm not seeing any docks being talked or mentioned yet on Harbor Lookout's website and the MERC Coal Dock website is not showing anything as far as the Barker arriving their for Winter Lay-Up? At first I thought maybe it would be at MERC but since there is nothing being said or shown on that to confirm it, now I don't know where they will be at? Also, does anyone else know who else may end up laying up in the Twin Ports this Winter? As one person had said in an earlier post, the Burns Harbor laid-up on January 4 at Elevator M in Superior and the Lee A. Tregurtha is due to lay up at Fraser in Superior soon. Other than what I've mentioned here so far, I'm not seeing or showing anything else then. Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

Unread post by Guest »

The Edmund Fitzgerald's normal route was Silver Bay to Toledo, so since she unloaded at the Lakefront ore docks which were right next to the coal docks, it made sense for her to be coal fired.

The John Sherwin normally loaded at Taconite Harbor for ports such as South Chicago, Cleveland, Ashtabula, etc. But Pickands and Mather had a coal refueling dock at Lime Island (ironically the same dock she's been at since 2009). So for her to be coal fired, and don't forget that the Herbert C. Jackson was originally coal fired, too, so it made sense for those two vessels to use coal.

Coal eventually fell out of favour in the early '70s due to the coal strike of 1971 that went on for a prolonged period, and increased costs. So conversion's in 1971-72 and 1972-73 to oil fired was the result.

- Brian
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The James R. Barker is listed now I see on Harbor Lookout’s website to be laying up in Duluth sometime this week. Don’t know where at and what dock in Duluth? I would guess the MERC Coal Terminal in Superior but I haven’t seen anything yet so far confirming that. Hope this helps.

Twin ports winter layup

Unread post by Guest »

Does anybody know who will be lay up in the twin ports this year? I know burns has already laid up and the Lee A will be laying up here soon