Soo Locks closing date

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Re: Soo Locks closing date

Unread post by Denny »

In looking at the boatnerd AIS map, the Indiana Harbor is downbound off of the tip of the Keweenaw as of 3 PM headed for the Soo. Based off of their current location, it doesn’t appear likely that they would arrive at the Soo before the locks close at midnight? Point is, it looks as if then the Indiana Harbor will probably arrive at the Soo sometime overnight into the early morning hours of January 16th thus becoming the last and the final vessel of the season at the Soo then? Sort of ironic if you will that in 2021 the Walter J. McCarthy Jr. closed out the Soo for 2020-21 season and now the Indiana Harbor may be closing out the 2021-22 season at the Soo. Two years in a row that ASC has had a 1,000 footer close out the Soo and be the last ship. Not too often you see that happening!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I've been tracking the Harbor Lookout website and see that many of the ones that were due to load their last cargoes at Two Harbors ended up with changes and were either cancelled as is the case with Presque Isle or diverted from Two Harbors to Duluth-Superior instead. I guess what I should've mentioned on this thread instead of talk on the Soo Locks' closing date was "If there would be any order changes or cancellations instead?" As Guest mentioned, Yes it happened with the Presque Isle as far as its orders being cancelled since they could not get up and load its last cargo of the season at Two Harbors. Like I told my brother the other day, its not uncommon to see orders changed or even cancelled at this time of year with the boats due to lineup at the docks along with delays for loading and possible weather issues and delays as well. Then there is the possibility of ice in the rivers, harbors and bays that could cause any issues as well. I told him also "It's not uncommon to see a ship go up sometimes empty and then turnaround and come back down empty!"

Unread post by Guest »

It looks like the Presque Isle isn’t going to make that last load out of Two Harbors. Her AIS has been updated to show Erie.
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

With the current conditions in the Soo they would find it hard to go beyond 15th anyway. High NW wind, lake effect snow/whiteouts. Below 0 last night and tonight. The ice is becoming a problem. Paul R. T and Walter J. both requiring assistance now. Paul R required cutter assistance to make the turn into the Rock Cut. The same for the Walter J. behind Neebish Island. There some other footers heading this way for tonight and I am sure they will not find the river easy to navigate.

Unread post by Guest »

If there is an extension to the normal January 15th 11:59pm closing, then it would have been announced a few weeks ago. Planning for the start of maintenance, repairs and upgrades started weeks ago and any extension could possibly impact the start of those projects or completion dates. They will allow a vessel to use the Poe Lock after that time as long as it's at a specific calling-in-point by January 15th 11:59pm.

- Brian
Denny

Soo Locks closing date

Unread post by Denny »

Was just wondering IF the Soo Locks’ closing date of January 15 could get a slight extension? Why do I say this and ask I’m sure many would be asking? Well if anyone hasn’t noticed or checked out the lineup lately at Harbor Lookout’s website, Two Harbors is due to have five vessels loading there from January 11-13. With that many ships expected, surely one must agree they’ll be some loading delays plus vessels anchoring and who knows on any weather issues too that could delay the ships and the loadings to? Right now, the Great Republic and Presque Isle both are due at Two Harbors on the 13th with the PI being late afternoon. If there’s any delays or anchoring, I don’t see how they could make it up there load and get back to the Soo before it closes on the 15th? Last year as I recall, the Walter J. McCarthy Jr. just did get to the Soo in time for the closing having cleared the Poe Lock down in the early hours of January 16, 2021. So, I have to think and believe that with five boats scheduled to load at Two Harbors that the USACE would have to keep the Soo Locks open for a few extra days to accommodate for the traffic? Just my thoughts and opinions only on this! I’m sure no word or announcements have been made yet by the Corps but, I expect it to come soon though. Anyone heard anything so far? Thanks for your information and replies.