Last Downbound Ship Through the Soo Locks

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Re: Last Downbound Ship Through the Soo Locks

Unread post by Denny »

Looks like Indiana Harbor may be the last downbound at the Soo but, also they won’t make it down to the Soo by midnight tonight! As I type this now they are off the tip of the Keweenaw at 3:00 pm on the 15th. Looks like then the Indy will make it to the Soo then on the 16th rather than the 15th. Just my thoughts and viewpoints only on this subject!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Last downbound may not be the Dirk as some may have thought as they are still in Two Harbors loading as I type this now! The Indiana Harbor is still waiting for the Dirk to finish up Two Harbors yet. So the last one down could be maybe Indiana Harbor now unless maybe a Canadian such as one from Lower Lakes Towing or a tug and barge such as one from the McKeil Marine or Purvis Marine fleets is the last down. The Sam Laud is also headed up that way too. The Anderson also left from Duluth too early this morning.

Unread post by Guest »

Victory/Maumee arriving at Bayship for layup Friday morning.

Unread post by Guest »

Looks like the tug Victory/Maumee are making one last Marquette run. Based on AIS they are due into Marquette at 4 AM on the 14th. However, they are currently mid-Lake Michigan west of Onekama, Mi currently (10pm 1/13) which makes me think 4 AM into Marquette isn’t realistic. I have to believe the last downbound is going to be a toss up between them and Indiana Harbor at this point.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Yup folks as I too am not seeing the Dirk listed on Harbor Lookout so far only through and on Marine Traffic right now am I seeing their AIS for Two Harbors. I take back BTW my prediction of who will be the last one downbound at the Soo as I had originally thought of and made my bold prediction on earlier. Still too many boats out there yet and up as well in Lake Superior and around the Soo area making their last runs of the season. You got the ones that I had listed along with the Dirk here as some have mentioned and also I see Lower Lakes Towing has a few of their own ships out up there as well doing stuff. So, IMO anyway at least the jury is still out on who will be the last downbound at the Soo then? Still too close to call yet and make any predictions on who it will be then at that point. I don't want to say or guess anymore and end up being embarrassed on it so, I'm just like everyone else just wait and see!
JohnnyB

Unread post by JohnnyB »

The Pierson and Harvest Spirit are pulling into Thunder Bay. Any chance either or both are grabbing a quick grain load and heading back down or are they laying up there this year.

Unread post by Guest »

The Michigan Trader/Dirk S. Van Enkevort is also scheduled to load at Two Harbors, possibly before the Indiana Harbor. (She never shows up on Harbor Lookout for some reason.)
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Denny wrote:Just curious and wondering if anyone would like to try and give your prediction as far as “Who will be the last downbound ship to lock through the Soo Locks?” From looking at Harbor Lookout’s website, I am seeing two vessels left to load in Duluth both due on January 13 and one left for Two Harbors to load also on the 13th. For Duluth, both the Munson and the Anderson are expected at Duluth on the 13th with the Munson first in the early morning with the Anderson arriving mid to late afternoon to load. The Indiana Harbor is due at Two Harbors early on the 13th to load then. Not trying to sound partial in any way but, my money then is on the Arthur M. Anderson to be the last downbound of the season at the Soo! Of course we’ll have to wait and see. Just to recap the McCarthy was the last downbound at the Soo for the 2020-21 shipping season clearing the Poe Lock downbound in the early morning hours of January 16, 2021.
Dirk S. VanEnkevort/Michigan Trader.
Denny

Last Downbound Ship Through the Soo Locks

Unread post by Denny »

Just curious and wondering if anyone would like to try and give your prediction as far as “Who will be the last downbound ship to lock through the Soo Locks?” From looking at Harbor Lookout’s website, I am seeing two vessels left to load in Duluth both due on January 13 and one left for Two Harbors to load also on the 13th. For Duluth, both the Munson and the Anderson are expected at Duluth on the 13th with the Munson first in the early morning with the Anderson arriving mid to late afternoon to load. The Indiana Harbor is due at Two Harbors early on the 13th to load then. Not trying to sound partial in any way but, my money then is on the Arthur M. Anderson to be the last downbound of the season at the Soo! Of course we’ll have to wait and see. Just to recap the McCarthy was the last downbound at the Soo for the 2020-21 shipping season clearing the Poe Lock downbound in the early morning hours of January 16, 2021.