Tug Sachem

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
William Lafferty

Re: Tug Sachem

Unread post by William Lafferty »

Attached is the summary from the Marine Casualty Report. I hope it is readable. The Sachem, as Derek E.[/I,] may still be among the rusting hulks at the base of Egan's slip at Lemont.
Attachments
Sachem MCR.jpg
Jared

Re: Tug Sachem

Unread post by Jared »

The most accurate rendering of the sinking and those who studied the sinking many years afterward concluded that the ice buildup amongst the superstructure caused her center of gravity to be raised. When the wreck was discovered, the wheel was hard over to starboard and the electrical circuits faulted. Which indicates that she lost power in heavy seas, and capsized. Despite what Boyer wrote, there was a lot of loose stuff thrown to the port side of the hull when the salvage team first dove on her several weeks after the sinking.

She was in Chicago or Toledo as the Derek E. But she was on the blocks when I asked of her 10 years or so ago on this forum.

Tug Sachem

Unread post by Guest »

Has any evidence ever been uncovered to shed any light on the mysterious sinking of the tug Sachem in Lake Erie in December of 1950? The tug was raised and put back into service, but I don't know if it is still around or not.