Herbert C. Jackson Question

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Herbert C. Jackson Question

Unread post by Guest »

Thanks Roger!
BigRiver

Re: Herbert C. Jackson Question

Unread post by BigRiver »

Good eye. That is above the porthole a mate would look out to check the progress of the anchor when it is being brought up. It will protect him from any falling ice. They want to avoid injuries or deaths such as befell an ASC mate last winter.

Herbert C. Jackson Question

Unread post by Guest »

In looking at recent pictures of the Herbert C. Jackson it appears that some time of shield or lid-like structure has been added above the most forward porthole on each side of the bow at the spar deck level. From watching the Mesabi Miner the other day as it passed through the Soo Locks, it appears that it too has also been fitted with a similar structure in the same position. Does anyone have any idea what is the purpose of these and when they were installed? I have not seen them on any other ships as of yet, but then again I'm only basing that on current images being posted as I don't live near the lakes themselves. What I'm talking about is very apparent in photographs of the Herbert C. Jackson posted on the May 7, 2022 Port Reports page.