Slide Scanning Question

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
RAW

Re: Slide Scanning Question

Unread post by RAW »

I scan slides around 3200 as well using flatbed slide adapter. For myself this is a sweet spot between size and quality

Unread post by Guest »

I scan my slides around 3200 dpi. That spits out a jpg that is about 10-12mgs or a tif at 65-70mg in size. That resolution is plenty for an 8x10 and likely for a 11x17. I'm using an Epson V600.

Unread post by Guest »

I think it would all be the same actually, as the size of the slide is the same - I think you're referring to 35mm slide film.

If you very high dpi then you end up with very large file sizes, so be sure to have a very large drive to handle that. Really, it depends on the quality of the optics that was used to capture the image in the first place and if it was able to resolve detail. Generally it's saved as TIF files and not JPEG, as it uses a lossy compression method.

Myself, I use a Nikon D500, a Nikon 60mm macro lens along with a Nikon Slide Adapter to "scan" my slides. That allows me to save the files as RAW, import into Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop for editing. Then export as a TIF file.

This is my Flickr album of Great Lakes ships I've scanned from slides.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/57707843@ ... 4696045406

- Brian

Slide Scanning Question

Unread post by Guest »

I apologize if this has been covered before in this forum, but I was wondering if there is any particular resolution that is the best for scanning boat slides? My scanner will do up to 9600 dpi for negatives and slides but from what I have seen online that may exaggerate the film grain at that high of a resolution. I have seen it mentioned that around 4000 dpi is an optimum resolution for slides, but I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience in this regard and can offer any tips as there seems to be a lot of contradictory information out there and I would assume that a slide of a ship is more like a landscape rather than a portrait so I doubt there is a one size fits all solution. I would like to optimize the slides to print up to an 8 x 12 print if so desired.

Thanks for any help!