Gray's Reef

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
charlie-soo

Re: Gray's Reef

Unread post by charlie-soo »

Ric, Sorry but I don't. There are probably records located at Station Charlevoix or Sector Soo.
Ric

Unread post by Ric »

Hey Charlie-

Any chance you knew someone who was on Gray's when the Upson ran into it? May 1965 would be the date. I'd love to interview them

ric mixter
charlie-soo

Unread post by charlie-soo »

Gray's Reef Passage is fairly narrow, considering the open water leading up to it from the south. The channel and edges are comprised of rock, sand and boulders. A vessel sailing north towards the passsage steers a course which puts them on an allision course with the light structure. When the vessel is abeam of Isle aux Galets, (Skilla-ga lee), they right four or five degrees off the light which is supposed to aim them at the center of the approach to the channel at Grays. Some vessels, like the J.E. Upson forgot to do this once while traveling in fog. They ended up striking the crib and knocking the S.W. corner off. (Solid concrete mind you) They also lost their anchor in the incident. I was stationed there for two seasons, from March/April to December, '69 and '70. Never slept very well when blowing for fog. Reminded me of the Upson.
bruce

Gray's Reef

Unread post by bruce »

Is this a tough navigation area? Why? I see the Detroit Edison ended her carreer grounding there