West India Fruit and Steamship Co.

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
jim gallant

Re: West India Fruit and Steamship Co.

Unread post by jim gallant »

one of the ferries was bought by the c.n.r. and operated by c.n. marine between nova scotia and newfoundland she sank in 1970 on a s.o.s. call from a fishing vessel four of the crew were lost she was known as the s.s. patrick morris when owned by c.n. marine i believe she was built by canadian vickers at montreal
JFB

Unread post by JFB »

[quote="Rob"]Is there a source that details the history of this operation? They operated a number of car ferries between the Port of Palm Beach, FL and Havana, Cuba, including the Grand Haven. At least a couple of their ships went to the Navy in WW II, and at least one was lost in a typhoon. That's about the extent of what I know. Any information on this Co. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks![/quote]

Check out the Wikipedia entry. The two ferries that served in the Navy during WW2 came from the Florida East Coast Car Ferry Co. (owned by the railroad of the same name). They were unused by the FEC following the 1935 Hurricane that ended FEC Rwy. service to Key West. They were sold to WIF&S following their return by the Navy in 1947.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_India ... ip_Company

Unread post by Guest »

You might want to look at De lMonte as they bought them in 1967.
Rob

West India Fruit and Steamship Co.

Unread post by Rob »

Is there a source that details the history of this operation? They operated a number of car ferries between the Port of Palm Beach, FL and Havana, Cuba, including the Grand Haven. At least a couple of their ships went to the Navy in WW II, and at least one was lost in a typhoon. That's about the extent of what I know. Any information on this Co. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!