Musings

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)

Re: Musings

Unread post by Guest »

Dawn wrote:If you haven't discovered the newest Duluth webcam (Basin), it was launched today and I'm elated! (Please feel free to correct or add to my post if any of my details are lacking or incorrect.) This cam covers the St. Louis River from the turn out of the Harbor to the Blatnik Bridge and can zoom beyond both. There's still a bit of tweaking going on, with frequent close ups of the JRB bow. It's amazing how the additional coverage of this area adds to my viewing experience and understanding of what the ship traffic maps show! Many thanks to all who are making this new cam possible.
To view that new cam go to DuluthHarborCam.com, and go to Our Live Cams, and go to AMI(Conners Point) cam
Dawn

Unread post by Dawn »

If you haven't discovered the newest Duluth webcam (Basin), it was launched today and I'm elated! (Please feel free to correct or add to my post if any of my details are lacking or incorrect.) This cam covers the St. Louis River from the turn out of the Harbor to the Blatnik Bridge and can zoom beyond both. There's still a bit of tweaking going on, with frequent close ups of the JRB bow. It's amazing how the additional coverage of this area adds to my viewing experience and understanding of what the ship traffic maps show! Many thanks to all who are making this new cam possible.
Dawn

Unread post by Dawn »

Denny wrote:Hi Dawn, just got done watching your favorite the Lee A. Tregurtha on the Duluth Webcam arriving today for Winter Lay-Up in Superior at the Fraser Shipyards. You'll be happy to know that her captain gave a great and outstanding, excellent salute to the Aerial Lift Bridge and her fans along the Duluth Ship Canal too. I thought about you as she made her arrival in Duluth today. Now you too will be able to enjoy your time this Winter hopefully and be able to read and catchup on whatever needs to be done this winter too. Take care my friend and stay safe, well and also warm too this winter. Cheers and 3 Long and 2 Short to you my friend!
Really love the network of Great Lakes webcams. They take me where I can't always be. Yesterday, the Lighthouse Cam made me feel like I was standing there, watching Lee A approach! To all, stay safe and healthy through the days ahead.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hi Dawn, just got done watching your favorite the Lee A. Tregurtha on the Duluth Webcam arriving today for Winter Lay-Up in Superior at the Fraser Shipyards. You'll be happy to know that her captain gave a great and outstanding, excellent salute to the Aerial Lift Bridge and her fans along the Duluth Ship Canal too. I thought about you as she made her arrival in Duluth today. Now you too will be able to enjoy your time this Winter hopefully and be able to read and catchup on whatever needs to be done this winter too. Take care my friend and stay safe, well and also warm too this winter. Cheers and 3 Long and 2 Short to you my friend!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

You have my word on that Dawn and everything you said BTW is right and correct as well!
Dawn

Unread post by Dawn »

Now you have time to organize your photo files and/or write a memoir of your best ship spotting adventures. (Please, not on my thread though ( : > ) !)
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well folks my oldest brother and I figure it this way. You got just about 10 weeks or so to get through Winter before nicer weather or Spring right now. However, with the expanded NFL Playoffs and the Super Bowl held a bit later in February that will help out as far as Sports fans go as long as you enjoy the NFL Playoffs and Super Bowl! Then if you’re a fan of the Winter Olympics, that’s on and starts in February too. No way though am I watching it since it’s being held in China since that’s where this crazy virus pandemic started from! Point is, after the Football Playoffs along with the Super Bowl and Olympics then there’s the Time Change coming up in March then the Basketball Tournament all leading up to Spring and the return of our hobby and pastime and passion again. Just have to try and hang in there for now everyone. Isn’t there a saying, when it gets tough, then the tough get going then?
mopar tim

Unread post by mopar tim »

Yep...lot's of youtube for me also. I have a hard time breathing in this cold so indoors it is for me. Winter seems to be moving right along so hopefully it will be an early spring. Take care and stay warm Dawn.
Dawn

Unread post by Dawn »

mopar tim wrote:Still here, just lurking lol. Glad to see you posting again Dawn hope all is well.
Tim, when you posted this, it was relatively nice weather but with the bone-chilling cold of the last few days, I'm lurking about the house, mostly watching classic movies and historical videos on YouTube. Stay safe and healthy.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks Dawn as Yes I am well aware of all of the links to the many and various websites for the web cams as well. I do try to check all of them out whenever I can although with my busy schedule and running to the Doc often, time is always not on my side unfortunately for sitting and taking the time to watch a long duration video. One of the best ones I check out is from Duluth as I just love sitting and watching the ships come and go through the Duluth Ship Canal and Superior Entry as well. Just wish that Duluth and the Soo both weren't so far away from here! Someday that is IF my health ever gets better enough for me to go and to do anymore long distance trips, I hope to someday try and get back up north to see things that I haven't so far such as the museum up at Rogers City and maybe Pictured Rocks in Munising along with going to and visiting the National Museum in Toledo. I can only drive up along the St. Clair River for any long distance traveling. Now with both my folks gone, long distance traveling for me now is very limited but if they were still here they'd both be in their 80s now so travelling with them would be limited! Guess I just need to be happy and thankful for what I have and can do as my Dad always used to tell me. You take the hand that's dealt to you was his famous catch saying and phrase. Take care my friend and glad to see you back posting here again. Stay Warm and Safe too!
Dawn

Unread post by Dawn »

Denny wrote: Sure can't wait until Spring now to return to the river with my new car and start watching ships again![/quote]
Denny, if you have computer access, you may know about the live stream cams at Algonac, Marine City, St. Clair, Bluewater Bridges, and, of course, the Soo. They're a sanity saver for me, especially after dark and in bad weather.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

In adding more bad luck and bad news to my thread as far as having an unfortunate accident happen to me and losing my vehicle and having to replace that with a new car, I would like to add another bad thing that happened to me as well in 2021. Ironically a week or so before I got into my accident, while out one night on a "fast food trip and run" believe it or not I'm sitting in the drive thru lineup and I feel something strange on my forearm a weird feeling to say the least. So, as I glanced down to look believe it or not I had an unpleasant visitor who decided to take up residence on me. If you guessed that it was a bee than you would be correct and that terrible horrible feeling I had was him putting a sting into my arm ouch! It was the first time I'd been stung by a bee in at least 30-40 years which I guess you could say I dodge the bullseye until that one got me then. So, you might say that September 2021 was surely NOT my favorite month of the year year last year and I'd say the bee sting was a "bad omen of things later to come for me a week later!" Sure can't wait until Spring now to return to the river with my new car and start watching ships again!
Dawn

Unread post by Dawn »

E J B wrote:Still here-- hanging out like a rusty fishhook...

Glad everyone is still here !
Never heard that one before. Maybe because I don't fish? (;> )
E J B

Unread post by E J B »

Still here-- hanging out like a rusty fishhook......

Glad everyone is still here !
Howard Sprague

Unread post by Howard Sprague »

We're still here, Dawn, and glad to hear you are too. We only made 87 trips out to the St. Clair last year due to dealing with our elderly mother's health issues (thankfully they weren't COVID). We hope 2022 is much better as there are lots of ships still to get.

Denny, my friend, we are glad to hear that you weren't hurt in that auto accident.
Dawn

Unread post by Dawn »

Oh, Denny! So thankful for no serious injuries in your accident. As the saying goes, "Life happens while we're making other plans," and we either adjust or grow bitter/angry. Sounds like you're counting your blessings and keeping positive. Since we can live only one day at a time, I wish you (and everyone reading this thread) "strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow..."
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

I'm doing better. Thanks for the mention Dawn. I'm in remission, but I have to be on the lookout. Thanks again.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I’m still here too Dawn and all boatnerds! As far as 2021 goes, it had some good and bad along with some ups and downs for me. Although I was kept busy mostly throughout 2021 going and visiting the doctors due to poor health and chronic health issues, I still managed to squeeze out 15 trips overall to the river in 2021! The worst part however came though in mid-September as unfortunately I was involved in an accident and lost my vehicle and had to get a replacement which definitively wasn’t easy! No one was hurt in the accident as that was the main thing but, I surely didn’t need 2021 to end and go like that! I had to travel all over to look for a new vehicle to which I barely got one in time. The accident also put an end to my river trips as I’ve not been out there since September 2021 and won’t return until Spring! Needless to say and sorry to say but the year 2021 couldn’t end fast enough for me with everything that happened toward the later half of it. Now I’m just looking forward to Spring 2022 and returning to the river again. However thanks to this crazy inflation and prices going though the roof on everything, who knows how much I’ll see and get to the river then? Thanks in large part to Covid, I haven’t had a good year at 20 or more trips to the river since 2019. Now that I am struggling with my health issues and getting older it’s making it more of a struggle now to make the river much less have a good season. I hope in 2022, things improve and get better. It will be my 30th year out there!
Dawn

Unread post by Dawn »

It's really great hearing from you all and to know you're alive and doing well.
Dawn

Unread post by Dawn »

Darryl wrote:Happy New Year, Dawn. Real boatnerds even work during layup. I'm following the Thread titled DULUTH. I'm curious who and where the layup fleet will be docked in the Twin Ports. Many times you can drive right by them if they are in the slips around the Port Terminal.
Since it's no longer a possibility for me to make a trip there, the Duluth cams and many talented photographers give me a fantastic window on boat traffic and the upcoming lay-up.