Paper Ship Models

Discussion forum for Model Builders. Static models to R/C.
sparky00

Re: Paper Ship Models

Unread post by sparky00 »

You certainly can clear coat paper models, and I strongly recommend it.

There are many options, but my two current favorites are Future floor polish for glossy and Rustoleum Matte Clear acrylic for matte finishes.

I also use Testors Dulcote - it works very well.

Unread post by Guest »

I forgot, my parents got me one of these models of the Blough a couple years ago. I need to find it. Clear coating should work fine with any lacquer/acrylic based spray. Rust o leums clear coat is lacquer based, but to be sure look on the can and see if it dries within an hour (oil based will take 4-6 hours). Use very light coats, as it’ll actually dry in a few minutes and you can recoat as soon as it does.

Unread post by Guest »

I have built a few of the Great Lakes card models. Is it possible to clear coat them after they are finished?
Heiner

Unread post by Heiner »

Another new cardboard model has been published as a free download at http://www.papershipwright.co.uk. It´s the CCSG Cove Isle, whose sister ship, Gull Isle is presented here with lots of pictures for a perfect build. Right now my building report ist available for public in our Forum [url]http://www.karton
First steps in building the hull
First steps in building the hull
bau.de[/url]
Farmall Doctor

Unread post by Farmall Doctor »

Yes, lots of patience, but the results will be remarkable. Put white Elmers glue in a puddle on a folded paper towel and apply with a toothpick. Clamp small tabs and pieces to hold with ladies' smooth hair clamps. Light pressured ones. Use the best straight bladed scissors you can find. I used hair cutting scissors. Use a good exacto-knife and have spare blades. Practice scoring and folding the cardstock on a discarded piece. I haven't built the Badger, but I just finished the Cliffs Victory which took 20 hours. The Fitz took 18 and the Schoonmaker 19 hours.
jsbrown

Unread post by jsbrown »

Hi,
If it's one of those paper models that comes in a large white envelope I put one together last winter, although of a different ship. All I needed was a sharp hobby knife, some glue, and a ruler. Also lots and lots of patience.
Jeff

Paper Ship Models

Unread post by Guest »

I have received a paper model of the car ferry Badger. I have never built a paper model and was wondering if anyone has any experiences or hints to share on building this kit? Thanks for any replies!