Iron Shipwright's Standard 600 footer Lake Freighter

Discussion forum for Model Builders. Static models to R/C.

Re: Iron Shipwright's Standard 600 footer Lake Freighter

Unread post by Guest »

Thanks for the information. Sounds like these could be interesting kits. I have found over the years that I have just as much, if not more, fun putting together some of the short run kits compared to the high end and superbly engineered model kits. I have made models since the age of 5 while growing up in Europe while my father was in the US Army and there always seemed to be a good supply of models available during the early 1970s. Sounds like the Iron Shipwright models are good candidates for super detailing and other modifications like you mentioned. If only I had a penny for every minute I have ever used a piece of sandpaper on a piece of plastic!
GuestfromEU

Re: Iron Shipwright's Standard 600 footer Lake Freighter

Unread post by GuestfromEU »

Guest wrote:Has anyone had any experience building this 1/700 kit or any of the other Great Lakes offerings by Iron Shipwrights such as the John Ericsson or Edmund Fitzgerald? Just wondering before I decide on a spring project!
I built the 1/700 and 1/350 Edmund Fitzgerald models from Iron Shipwrights. They were worth the money to me when considering there are limited options for merchant ship models in general, Great Lakes subjects even more so. It depends on your level of experience with resin kits and photo etch. How detailed do you want to build the models? The models were cast well (the 1/700 scale version required more clean up and filling of holes, but nothing extreme). The exterior stairways between deck were cast in place (Aztec style) which I removed and replaced with photo etch. The rub rails on the hull side were way oversize, but simply sanding off and attaching new styrene strips to scale were easy enough. A few small bulwark areas did not cast fully, again easily filled with Milliput. The pour plug on the hull bottom was quite thick (5mm) on the 1/700 version, but little to nothing for clean up on the 1/350 model.

I would love to share photos of these builds, but both were lost during a house move some years ago. Some photos were on an old phone which never transferred to a new phone somewhere in time.

Iron Shipwright's Standard 600 footer Lake Freighter

Unread post by Guest »

Has anyone had any experience building this 1/700 kit or any of the other Great Lakes offerings by Iron Shipwrights such as the John Ericsson or Edmund Fitzgerald? Just wondering before I decide on a spring project!