George M. Steinbrenner

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
TWilush

Re: George M. Steinbrenner

Unread post by TWilush »

Here's a couple:
Attachments
Joseph  Block (55).jpg
Joseph  Block (4).jpg
BigB

Unread post by BigB »

Any photos of the Joseph Block in Inland Steel colors? Preferably color.
bhale849

Unread post by bhale849 »

I'm not sure that Steinbrenner replaced the damaged plates on the Joseph Block with those of another ship. That's just what I heard when I worked in the Inland Steel Fleet.

Unread post by Guest »

Are you sure? Seems cost prohibitive to remove plates from one and make them fit on another. What was the other ship that had plates that fit?

bhale849 wrote:If I recall correctly, Inland Steel was very upset that Steinbrenner repaired & ran the old Joseph Block. In 1969, she ran aground in Death's Door Passage, doing what was judged as irreperable harm to her (more than 100 hull plates damaged). Inland sold her to one of Steinbrenner's companies on the condition that she be scrapped. Instead, Steinbrenner repaired her with plates from vessels he was getting rid of, named her George Steinbrenner, and ran her in the Kinsman Fleet. This, of course, didn't sit well with Inland Steel.
bhale849

Unread post by bhale849 »

If I recall correctly, Inland Steel was very upset that Steinbrenner repaired & ran the old Joseph Block. In 1969, she ran aground in Death's Door Passage, doing what was judged as irreperable harm to her (more than 100 hull plates damaged). Inland sold her to one of Steinbrenner's companies on the condition that she be scrapped. Instead, Steinbrenner repaired her with plates from vessels he was getting rid of, named her George Steinbrenner, and ran her in the Kinsman Fleet. This, of course, didn't sit well with Inland Steel.
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

Justin wrote:Looking for pictures of the George M. Steinbrenner. Any help would be great.
Here is a photo of the last George Steinbrenner. She was built in 1907 at West Bay City, MI as the Arthur H. Hawgod. Named changed in 1911 to Joseph Block and sailed as that till 1969. Renamed for last time as George Steinbrenner in 1969 and carried that name till scrapping at Ramey's Bend in 1979.
I took this photo while on the Samuel Mather. We met them crossing Mud Lake in 1975.
Attachments
geo steinbrenner.jpg
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

Which? There were 2 by that name.
Justin

George M. Steinbrenner

Unread post by Justin »

Looking for pictures of the George M. Steinbrenner. Any help would be great.