gordon c. leitch fit out

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
TWilush

Re: gordon c. leitch fit out

Unread post by TWilush »

Port of Montreal confirms, she will proceed to Hamilton upon the opening of the Seaway.
wheelman

Unread post by wheelman »

will the leitch go to drydock to finish up steel work?
oldseadog

Unread post by oldseadog »

Gordon C Leitch departed Port Cartier about 3 hours ago 0400 her current destination reads Montreal. Gordon C Leitch will in all probability, wait for the Seaway to open then proceed to Hamilton
syd BC

Unread post by syd BC »

If they can make money on one trip its worth it
I laid up once in Montreal Dec22 They called us back J35an 16 We sailed to Halifax unloaded then went to Sydney NS and laid up again
oldseadog

With the help of a tug, Gordon C Leitch was moved over to the Port Cartier grain dock this morning in order to make room for a 883 foot vessel with a beam of 141 feet the R O Korea vessel C Harmony, secured behind the G C Leitch, to sail for Rotterdam, befor the Gordon C Leitch will resumes loading, a 925 foot vessel with a 145 foot beam, the C Discovery, was placed at the dock where the C Harmony was loading The Gordon C Leitch will be moved back when all is clear.
oldseadog

Was not much of a fit out just 4 days just enough time for her to sail, she did have some work done on her last year which would justify her sailing again this year, I mentioned that this her last trip under SMT flag, but I did not mention that she would not run for Algoma.

Unread post by Guest »

guest wrote:Do they plan to have her layup in Hamilton for some reason or why would they use her for just one trip, seems like it wouldn't even be worth having her fitout unless as I say they want her in layup at some other port
This may be her last trip under SMT management but possibly not under Algoma management. I'm told they fitted her out with the intent of running a full season.

Unread post by guest »

Do they plan to have her layup in Hamilton for some reason or why would they use her for just one trip, seems like it wouldn't even be worth having her fitout unless as I say they want her in layup at some other port
oldseadog

The Gordon C Leitch is loading for Hamilton at Port Cartier, her last trip under S M T, if the deal goes through.
TWilush

Unread post by TWilush »

Will this ore load be unloaded, or is it bound for Hamilton after the Seaway opens?
dwrozeboom

Unread post by dwrozeboom »

I talked to someone from the crew and they said they will discharge the grain and load iron ore and come back to Montreal to lay up again next week waiting for the Seaway to open. It's pretty odd. Algoma has laid up Algobay and Algoma Discovery in Montreal in the last two weeks. For sure the Discovery could have taken this load so I'm guessing that they have a lot work that needs to be done before the Seaway opens. It seems that they want everything sailing once the Seaway opens which can only mean that they expect it to be a good year.

Unread post by Guest »

The GCLeitch and the Can Prospector were given structural upgrades around 2002/2003? when they took over the ore shuttle run Havre St. Pierre/Sorel from the Ferbec. I'm not sure exactly what these upgrades entailled but I know they reulted in an increased freeboard and S/MS loadlines. I sailed on the Prospector both before and after the upgrades and one thing I remember was the increased the height of the coamings around the cargo hold access ladders about 12".

Unread post by Guest »

Is this just going to be one trip for her and then back to Section 56 or is she actually going to keep working this season? I can't recall a laker being fit-out to shuttle grain on the St Lawrence River before the Seaway was open. Has it happened before? Thanks.
oldseadog

Was not much of a fitout, the crew were back on Friday and she sailed last evening, I think she can only carry cereal products. I was a guest on the Ralph Misener, a relative of my aunt was Captain for a short time on her in 1989.
Marcel19

Unread post by Marcel19 »

I sailed on the Gordon C Lietch when she was the ralph Misener.I see that she is starting to fit out on feb 18th.Unless she has had a major upgrade she is not classed to run past anticosti Island.I imagine that when she laid up they paid off the whole crew and didn't do any maintanence.She has an older sulzer main engine and the eng,Rm crew was probably called back to get her ready for spring fit out.Doing he pistons generators etc.
oldseadog

Gordon C Leitch just departed sec 54 Elevator 4 dest baie Comeau 2145
TWilush

Unread post by TWilush »

Leitch's destination is, unsurprisingly, Baie Comeau.
oldseadog

Thats the partload of grain that was onboard the Algoma Spirit, the latter unloaded at elevator 4 then proceeded to Sept Iles. Was not much of a load as the Algoma Spirit was at elevator 4, 6 hours. Arrived at 1800 departed around midnight, Algoma Spirit has since departed Sept Iles and is heading to Curtis Bay, MD, (Baltimore) with Iron ore.

Unread post by Guest »

Now shifting to load grain in Montreal. Algoma Spirit was supposed to take a load of grain to Baie-Comeau on their way out of layup but they were delayed by mechanical problems.
oldseadog

I am not sure if the Gordon C Leitch is certified to go past Anticosti Island, Quebec, anyone aware of this?