Tugs Seneco and Susan Hoey

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Richard Jenkins

Re: Tugs Seneco and Susan Hoey

Unread post by Richard Jenkins »

Guest wrote:There are people on this board who were on Frantz's non profit board and they wont say anything other than try to distance themselves from it.
To make a long story short, the Northeastern Maritime Historical Foundation's museum plans all hinged on the Ashland ore dock proposal. Canadian National wanted to get rid of the dock after inheriting it from the Wisconsin Central which inherited it from the Soo Line (which last used it in the mid-1960's). The plan would have involved the railroad donating the dock to the foundation, along with a multi-million dollar endowment that would have covered structural repairs to the dock as well as seed money for the museum. Based on initial estimates, this would have been a lower cost alternative for the railroad, compared to the complete demolition of the dock and restoration of the lake bed (which was their other option), so the deal would have been a win-win situation for everybody. The engineering study numbers weren't favorable though, and the foundation's plans (and the foundation itself) unraveled quickly after the dock deal fell through.

As for what happened to Franz or his businesses after his car accident, even those of us who had been involved with the NMHF were left out of the loop when he fell off the map. I've heard the same rumors as everybody else, but beyond that your guess is as good as mine.
Lady Pirate1

Unread post by Lady Pirate1 »

I don't know Franz, but was captivated by the storm that hit Lake Superior while he was towing the Seneco w/ the Susan Hoey.

Another Jimmy Hoffa mystery? :)

Unread post by Guest »

It is a strange mystery, what happened to Frantz and his non profit that owned all the tugs. There are people on this board who were on Frantz's non profit board and they wont say anything other than try to distance themselves from it.

As far as Frantz it has been posted here that he was in a bad car wreck and was in the hospital, other have said he is in jail.

Really strange the way no one will discuss what happened with the non profit or Frantz.
Isaac wrote:Franz's companies are no longer in business, but nobody seems to know exactly where Franz is.
Chris M

Unread post by Chris M »

that's what he was when he was still in business. Last I heard he was down south working on the railroads
ashland69

Unread post by ashland69 »

Isaac wrote:Franz's companies are no longer in business, but nobody seems to know exactly where Franz is.
Last I knew, he was cleaning up and sinking tugs and such on the east coast to serve as underwater reefs.
Isaac

Unread post by Isaac »

Franz's companies are no longer in business, but nobody seems to know exactly where Franz is.
Lady Pirate1

Thanks, Isaac. Do you (or anyone) know what happened to Franz? Is his tug company still in business?
Isaac

Unread post by Isaac »

Seneca was sold into private ownership at Sault Ste. Marie, ON. Anna Marie Altman, ex-Susan Hoey, was reported on the News Channel here to have been sold to Purvis Marine along with fleetmate Sioux.
Lady Pirate1

Tugs Seneco and Susan Hoey

Does anyone have an update on the current status of either one of these tugs? Who owns them now? Thanks in advance.