Mystery Lighthouse photo?

Open to discussion on all lighthouses from the Great Lakes and beyond.
NoahG

Re: Mystery Lighthouse photo?

Unread post by NoahG »

Wow, that's an incredible and clear photo. I love these rare images, especially when they pertain to the Detroit River.
Wayne Sapulski

Unread post by Wayne Sapulski »

Keith,

This is a photo of the 1908 Peche Island Front Range Light prior to November 5, 1927, on which date it was destroyed by an explosion and fire. I will send you a view of the structure that subsequently replaced it via a separate email. The replacement remained in service until the end of the 1982 shipping season at which time both the front and rear towers were replaced with the modern structures currently in use.

I have long had this photo in my collection (aka the Great Lakes Lighthouse Image Database). The original is a glass plate negative that resides in the collection of the Walter P. Reuther Library at Wayne State University.

Best Regards,

Wayne Sapulski
Maritime Photographic Company
Great Lakes Lighthouse Historian, Author and Photographer
First Class Pilot- Great Lakes
Mike B

Unread post by Mike B »

Looks too short to be the old Peache isl. light
Mary

Unread post by Mary »

Could it be the old Peche Island Rear Range Light?

http://lighthouse.boatnerd.com/gallery/ ... andold.htm
Keith M Steffke

Mystery Lighthouse photo?

Unread post by Keith M Steffke »

I recently acquired an interesting lighthouse photo.

It was an old Detroit News press photo, and on the back it said "Lake St. Clair Light House Jan. 29. 1936". I cannot find anything on either the American or Canadian side of the Lake that resembles this structure. I assume the photo was actually taken much earlier (possibly the 1910's) and was used as a copy photo for a story.

Any idea if this is even one of the "lost lighthouses" of any of the Great Lakes?

Thank you for any help available,
Keith M. Steffke
[email protected]
Attachments
LakeStClair.Lighthouse.Jan.29.1936.lr..jpg