Algoway

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Russ

Re: Algoway

Unread post by Russ »

Those opening are, in fact, port holes. There were generally three crews quarters rooms at that level. One room was for two deckwatches, one for one deckwatch and one deckhand, and one for two deckhands. This room assignment configuration was used as far back as 1906 on the Daniel J. Morrell and the Edward Y. Townsend, and used as late as the 1960's on the Johnstown, Irving S. Olds, Benjamin F. Fairless, and J. L. Mauthe. With smaller crew size and everyone getting individual rooms, these area may now be used for some alternative use. However, at the time of original construction, they were port holes for quarters assigned to ordinary seamen. Able bodied seamen had quarters on the port side of the spar deck and mates had quarters on the starboard side of the spar deck.
St Crapo

Unread post by St Crapo »

This is just my own thoughts on her. Shes been a work horse along with the Algorail for Algoma. Those 2 boats handle the smaller river cargoes for them and haul tons and tons of salt. Her and the Algorail have looked really rough the last few years and it would be nice to see alittle new paint on them for there final seasons as they are to be replaced soon. Im a fan of these two boats and saw them maney times on the Saginaw River but understand things arnt like they used to be when you always saw deck hands painting away at some areas that needed painting when they had downtime between loading and uploading. It costs extra money to paint these boats and these companies are all about makeing as much of a profit as possible and painting cuts into that and with there incoming retirements soon then im sure adding alittle paint isnt in there budgets. I wish it was but sadly it doesn't appear to be. Just my own thoughts and opinion here.
Dan McNeil
standuffer

Unread post by standuffer »

RMartens wrote:That's where the motors and pumps for the hydraulics are located. Her gates were hydraulically operated. The laundry room was located in the focsle below the windlass.
Isn't the area below the Windlass Room referred to as a 'forepeak'? An area where the anchor chains (Chain Locker) are stowed ?

The Forecastle ("fo'c's'le") refers the forward part of a ship with the sailors' living quarters. I can definitely understand the laundry room being located there.

Some of this terminology is confusing even while aboard a ship.
RMartens

Unread post by RMartens »

That's where the motors and pumps for the hydraulics are located. Her gates were hydraulically operated. The laundry room was located in the focsle below the windlass.
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

It would be nice they would put a little paint on her. I remember seeing the Algoway for the first time back about 1978 in the Cuyahoga River and it was spotless.
Here's the Algoway that year at Rail-to-Water at South Chicago, and I agree, she sure looked good then.
Attachments
Algoway 1.jpeg
jzcleve

Unread post by jzcleve »

It would be nice they would put a little paint on her. I remember seeing the Algoway for the first time back about 1978 in the Cuyahoga River and it was spotless.
algowest

Unread post by algowest »

Looking at main deck and those 4 portholes appear to be for unloading control switchboard room, gyro compass & sewage unit room, and laundry room & calorifier & pressure tank.

Unread post by Guest »

standuffer wrote: Wouldn't that actually be 'the dunnage room' in most boats?
I think that's the correct nautical term for it.

Unfortunately I don't have an Algoway blueprint, so I can't say for sure what's in that area. Some of the accommodations are on the deck above and aft of the windlass room - the first 3 portholes.

I doubt any of the accommodations are that low in the hull though. On this particular size of boat.

Essential machinery for the forward end of the ship has to be somewhere and my guess it's in that area aft of the anchor pockets.
standuffer

Unread post by standuffer »

Guest wrote:They probably are port holes. They seem to be on the level below the windlass room, where you might find things like a gyro, potable water tank, sewage unit, fire pump and other equipment.
Wouldn't that actually be 'the dunnage room' in most boats?

Unread post by Guest »

They probably are port holes. They seem to be on the level below the windlass room, where you might find things like a gyro, potable water tank, sewage unit, fire pump and other equipment.
johnfrombrighton

Algoway

Unread post by johnfrombrighton »

Just noticed in the News Photo gallery that Algoway has four - what seem to - portholes that go from just behind the anchor pocket to just about in line with the start of the main deck.

For portholes, these seem very close to the loaded waterline. Are these, in fact, portholes? If not what are they? What are they used for?