State of Michigan trip Summer 2011- Amateur Radio

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
sgrima

Re: State of Michigan trip Summer 2011- Amateur Radio

Unread post by sgrima »

amateur operator wrote:Any chance you might have some hf gear aboard. Like to work your ship from here.

Ron, VE3GO, Marine Columnist Monitoring Times.
Hi Ron, The ship does have HF radios. I am not allowed to use them while the ship in under way. However I may be able to use them when we dock. If not I do have a semiportable HF station I am going to set up on the ship in the fall I which then we could work from there. If you send me your email address to [email protected] and send some frequencies you'd like me to try I'll give it a shot. I'm hoping by the end of the year to have the ship with it's own club license.
amateur operator

Unread post by amateur operator »

Any chance you might have some hf gear aboard. Like to work your ship from here.

Ron, VE3GO, Marine Columnist Monitoring Times.
sgrima

Unread post by sgrima »

Guest wrote:You're back at the Academy?
Yes I am. I have one sea project left to do then I'm able to graduate.

Unread post by Guest »

You're back at the Academy?
sgrima

State of Michigan trip Summer 2011- Amateur Radio

Unread post by sgrima »

I will be sailing as a cadet on the T/V State of Michigan this summer till around the first of July.

I have brought both a VHF-FM and a duel band VHF/UHF-FM Amateur Radios out on the sea project with me to try and make as many contacts as I can for the summer. Anyone interested can listen on the local 2 meter repeaters for my call sign;
Marine Mobile KJ4UEV. (I will try and get the local 440 repeaters as well but UHF doesn't get the range that VHF does so I tend to favor 2 Meters)

Some of the places we will be stopping this summer is
Detroit, Cleveland, Duluth, Port Huron. I also have a 3db gain antenna which should give me a good reach when we are off shore mid-lake.

I wish everyone a good summer and hope to hear you on the air

Steve
KJ4UEV

PS When I get off the T/V State of Michigan I will make up some special QSL cards and mail them out to all my contacts