Little Rock & Ice

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
ed

Re: Little Rock & Ice

Unread post by ed »

I hope the crew gets free hockey tickets !

Unread post by Guest »

USS Little Rock is spending the winter in an interesting neighborhood. She's tied up along the same wall, just a bit south of the permanent home of the Seaways heavy lift barge crane/gate lifter VM/S Hercules:

http://www.wellandcanal.ca/shiparc/seaw ... cules2.htm

https://carlzboats.blogspot.com/2016/03 ... cules.html

Unread post by Guest »

Yes, it sounds like they're using bubblers:

"The USS Little Rock and its crew of about 70 sailors are hunkering down in Montreal for the rest of the winter, while Marinette Marine personnel assist in winterizing the ship for its icy berth.

The Navy is implementing the shipyard’s recommended cold-weather care and protection plan, Hillson said, which includes installing temporary heaters and 16 de-icing machines to keep water moving around the hull and reduce the effects of ice accumulation.

Also, the crew has been given additional cold weather gear".

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel source article:
https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/bu ... 063478001/

Unread post by Guest »

I wonder if they'll put a bubbler or some other ice buffering system around her?

I used to see them used on some of the lakers that layed-up for the winter around the Port Colborne Welland wharfs, but usually only on the aft end around the props/rudder.
pjwh12

Unread post by pjwh12 »

One of the issues with the ship is that it is six percent overweight and therefore more likely to sink if damaged
These ships have been "plagued by flawed designs and failed equipment since being commissioned, with at least 17 known cracks, and repeatedly been beset by engine-related failures and the hulls have known to leak in rough weather
No doubt the navy would be terribly embarrassed if one of there combat ships were to hit a piece of ice and sink in the st lawerance lol
Better to sit at the dock and wait for a warmer day
Paul A

Unread post by Paul A »

I think it may have more to do with the propulsion system. Ice through the jet drives could be like a bird strike to an airliner jet.
Mac Mackay

Unread post by Mac Mackay »

Interesting that the spokesperson for the USN noted exceptional weather as the real cause.
The RCN had an issue a few years ago with a late Seaway departure. There was a two million dollar bill to pay when the tow line parted and the ship ran into the tug.
Perhaps it is a navy thing that they don't believe in winter (an annual occurrence in my experience).
I am prepared to believe that the ship cannot withstand ice pressure. More particularly if it has unreliable propulsion systems and becomes beset in ice and has to call an icebreaker. There was also a situation in Quebec City last week when the standby icebreaker was unable to respond to a ferry trapped in ice, due to its own mechanical problems.
This would not give the USN much confidence in a speedy rescue if needed.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

I believe it is more mechanical issue than that. Dozens of vessels departed after she got there with no problem. The Navy is embarrassed over these LCS issues so they now have to come up with a cover story to save their skin.
Pete in Holland MI

Little Rock & Ice

Unread post by Pete in Holland MI »

Stuck in the ice for several weeks, and now till Spring ? Doesn't say much about the armor on the hull of these ships any more.

Scary thought.