2019 Know Your Ships

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Re: 2019 Know Your Ships

Unread post by Denny »

Still waiting yet to get my copies as they’ve yet to arrive.
Paul Beesley

Unread post by Paul Beesley »

Mine arrived! Thanks Roger and KYS crew.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well said Paul and I couldn't agree with you more on what you said and your comments. Also for anyone that has in I-Phone or also a tablet, think about what would happen if you accidently dropped your phone and it broke or the screen cracked or broke? I'll bet it wouldn't be too easy then to view Know Your Ships then and what if your internet connection is also down for a time. I'm just trying to think of ways that unfortunately some of us computer folks may not be able to view Know Your Ships online that's all. Also and the worst case scenario you accidently leave your phone or tablet in a place and then walk off forgetting it. Granted and I know you can have it happen with the book copies as well. But, at least with the book edition you don't have the risk of dropping your devices and breaking it and not having it work then. Just my two cents on this.

Unread post by Guest »

Wow! Thank you Paul for your kind comments! I was delivering books all day to shops along the St Clair River from party stores to gift shops to hardware stores to Barnes and Noble. It is so gratifying to hear those folks say "people have been asking when these will be in."

I was so thrilled this year when we contacted shipping companies and other maritime organizations to see if we could get their support for our 60th Anniversary Edition and not a single one of them said no. That support keeps the cover price the same it has been for 10 years, even with an increase this year of 16 pages.

Clearly there is a demand for the book and I intend to continue to produce one as long as I am able (and of course as long as people continue buying it!). Thank you all so much for encouragement. – Roger
Paul C LaMarre III

Unread post by Paul C LaMarre III »

Dear Friends,

While this will be my first time posting on the discussion boards I think it is ever important to give credit where credit is due. Quite honestly it is truly an honor when you can do so for one of your best friends.

With that, I would like to personally congratulate Roger LeLievre on the release of the 60th Anniversary of Know Your Ships (KYS). As an active member and fortunate leader of the active Great Lakes shipping industry I am proud to be an advertiser in and avid supporter of this timeless publication. From my thrashed copies with my name written in crayon as a child, to the 2019 copy I just placed aboard the Tug Wisconsin, to the copies that are a top seller at the National Museum of the Great Lakes.... KYS is irreplaceable compared to any other media format.

The Port of Monroe orders at least 100 copies per year as we give them to every foreign/domestic ships calling upon the Port each season. From the Dutch Captain on the M/V Iver Bright to the Captain and Crew of the Tug Undaunted it is a useful resource for all whether in the wheelhouse or on the dining room table in the galley.

While this publication was created for the enthusiast it is evident in this edition that it has the full and unrelenting support of our industry. It is a staple in every wheelhouse and is a living document embodying the annals of our history, the state of our industry, and the basic knowledge of Great Lakes shipping for the customer we serve.

I would argue that when standing in the front window in the middle of the lake sailors are reaching for a trusty copy of KYS and not the computer down in their room.

Congrats again my friend. Industry and enthusiast alike. We owe you a debt of gratitude for keeping KYS alive....

Very Respectfully,

Paul C. LaMarre III

Port Director
Port of Monroe

Director
S.S. Col James M. Schoonmaker Museum Ship
National Museum of the Great Lakes
Paul A

Unread post by Paul A »

I'm looking forward to my copy any day now! To have an index and printed information at hand is so much faster than sorting through an internet search makes the book invaluable. Thanks Roger, the analog hard copy is still the best reference.
c ships

Unread post by c ships »

Thanks Roger the book is great!! Sykes on the cover. I like the boats from yester year also. Look forward to your new book coming in September.

Unread post by Guest »

That’s the magic of the great mix of internet and good old fashioned books!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I think we also forgetting other key reasons that the book is in no way shape or form obsolete as some seem to suggest. First, the book has been around for 60 years and counting. I say that is an amazing feat for a book that has a wealth of information in it. Second, I give Roger and crew kudos and credit for all the hard work, dedication and loyalty as far as what they do year in and year out to give us all one of the best books out there covering the Great Lakes/Seaway system. Finally let’s also not forget IMO anyway, there’s still people believe it or not in this world that do not have internet or your modern day Social Media devices and for those reasons at least there’s still the need to have a book made up and printed and distributed each year. Just my opinion only and two cents worth here on this subject. I have purchased a Know Your Ships for many years now and am very proud to say that I’ve enjoyed it year by year and it keeps getting better with age and time. Great job Roger!
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

One thing I have noticed – even though there are fewer boats to watch, there are more people watching them. Today I sent books to Scotland, The Netherlands and Germany. There are transplanted Great Lakes people all over the world.
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

Guest wrote:With the abundance of pictures and info online, in addition to the same basic ships every year, the book is almost obsolete
Here are a few reasons I must disagree with your pronouncement: there is a wealth of information packed into 200 pages of the 60 year Anniversary Edition (2019). It's size allows you to take it anywhere you might go to watch ships. You never need to recharge it. There's no way anyone could retain all of the data listed for each ship. The wide variety of photos showcased come from some of the most gifted photographers in the Great Lakes. You can have/share your opinion, but please, at least check out this year's edition before posting such a hollow judgment.
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

With all due respect, the book is not obsolete. The internet can be a tricky place to find all the information, jumbled among various, unreliable sources. The photos, very thorough information and year-by-year updates paint an easy picture for the novice viewer, and serve as a great
master source and collector's item for those more experienced.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well I am sure for one of many reasons, it has to do with this being the 60th Anniversary Edition as far as why sales are up so much on the book that and the fact that this year's edition is the biggest ever with more than 200 pages in the book. I can definitely see what I'll be doing as far as this weekend once I get my books. If it is going to rain or be lousy for weather this weekend, I'm okay with that folks and I say why not as at least then it gives me a chance to look at the KYS book page by page!

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:With the abundance of pictures and info online, in addition to the same basic ships every year, the book is almost obsolete
True, there's a nearly infinite amount of information on the internet. But sometimes it's nice to hold a book in your hand.
ed

Unread post by ed »

I enjoyed the book back in the 50's and 60's when there were a lot of ships sailing and different companies. Now we see the same old ships making the same old runs year after year. I've watched the P R T make the run down the Saint Clair river so many times people don't even stop to look anymore. Very few new builds to look at and it's not like the 'good old days' when we saw a boat every eight minutes. I still get my copy every year to keep Roger employed but, the book usually sits on my table so that I don't have to dust it quite so much any more.
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

Orders this year are up 25 percent over last year. 10 year trend is up, not down. Someone must be buying it.

Unread post by Guest »

With the abundance of pictures and info online, in addition to the same basic ships every year, the book is almost obsolete
Denny

2019 Know Your Ships

Unread post by Denny »

Well I am still anxiously awaiting the arrival of the 2019 KYS Books and I know that Mr. Know Your Ships is probably very busy with orders now and filling and sending them out. No problems there as I can wait and be patient but, still excited and anxiously awaiting my copies though to arrive. Please everyone as I ask you “No Spoiler Alerts on the book as I along with many others I’m sure out there are still awaiting to get this year’s special 60th Anniversary edition book!” For those that have not gotten, ordered or received their books yet let’s not spoil it by saying and telling what’s inside! Let’s all keep it a big secret and we see then for ourselves once we have it in our procession. Congratulations though to Roger and his crew for the 60th Anniversary edition and looking so forward to receiving it from you. Not trying to rush it but, also looking forward to the 100th Anniversary edition of KYS Book someday also!