S.S. Detroit Edison Photo

Buy and sell Great Lakes related items

Re: S.S. Detroit Edison Photo

Unread post by Guest »

Buffalo Bob wrote:WTB wall mounting grade photo of the Steamship Detroit Edison. Hoping to find photo from around the 1979 -80 era when I worked on the ship.
I have a Picture of the Edison tied up in Buffalo i believe it was the winter of 79 when it laid up there. I worked as extra wiper, and my Brother was in the tunnel
you can email me [email protected]

or find me on facebook Tom Martinson
Ken Niemi

Unread post by Ken Niemi »

wlbblw wrote:Where were the calendar shots taken?

The photos are contained in a binder of plastic-sleeves, each with a type-written label that contains the name of the vessel and its hull number. The hull number is also hand written on the back of each photo, but there is no indication of where the photo was taken. Most are in open water, but a few contain an image of land in the background. Experienced sailors may be able to identify some of the locations, but I cannot. I have with this binder, a December 1984 issue of Soundings, put out quarterly by ASC. In it is a front page article featuring photos and an interview with Dale Fischer describing his work. At that time, he was living and had his studio based near the airport in Ann Arbor.

If anyone is interested, I have decided to sell the binder with all 9 8x10 color photos and the copy of Soundings for $125, including shipping cost. The nine vessels include the Charles E. Wilson, H. Lee White, Sam Laud, St. Clair, Belle River, Indiana Harbor, Buffalo, American Mariner and American Republic. The binder also includes a two-page folder with a specification chart of all 20 ASC vessels, called "Vessel Service Data". There is no publication date, but both the Nicolet and Richard J. Reiss are listed.
wlbblw

Unread post by wlbblw »

Where were the calendar shots taken?
Buffalo Bob

Unread post by Buffalo Bob »

I really appreciate all your leg work guys.
ML

Unread post by ML »

Check out Doris Sampson via the 'net. In year's past I've bought photos of boats I've sailed on from her, as well as my Dad. She used to have a vast photo collection from the modern era. Let us know what you find out.............
Boat 56

Unread post by Boat 56 »

Hi Bob, I stopped in the Book Nook and they have no information on the Edison. However I do remember that the former owner and local historian was Neil Thornton and lives in East Tawas. I would guess that if you could make contact with him he may have some photos that your looking for.
Ken Niemi

Unread post by Ken Niemi »

I found the folder, Bob, but the Edison was not one of the boats ASC featured in their 9 years of Dale Fischer calendar photos. It's too bad, as the photos are 8 X 10 color shots that show the boats in their entirety from above and the calendars were huge. Good luck in your search.
Buffalo Bob

Much appreciated Ken!
Reiss Recollections

Unread post by Reiss Recollections »

Bob, back in the late 70s and 80s ASC used a photographer named Dale Fischer to take aerial photos of members of their fleet from a helicopter. They used these photos for their annual calendar. I have a complete set of those shots from the office and I'm sure the Detroit Edison is among them, but will need to do some digging to find them. I may also have one of the calendars with the Edison's photo. I will get back to you.

Ken Niemi at [email protected]
Buffalo Bob

Thanks for the information Boat56. I called the Book Nook, but they do not have the picture anymore and said they do not know where to get one.3Y3CFF
Boat56

Unread post by Boat56 »

The Book Nook in East Tawas used to have b&w photos of the Detroit Edison loading gypsum for sale before the store was sold. . The former owner of the store was a history buff. The store still has some photos of other boats at Port Gypsum and could more than likely order some for you.
Buffalo Bob

S.S. Detroit Edison Photo

WTB wall mounting grade photo of the Steamship Detroit Edison. Hoping to find photo from around the 1979 -80 era when I worked on the ship.