Hull Paint

Discussion forum for Model Builders. Static models to R/C.
Jakesmith

Re: Hull Paint

Unread post by Jakesmith »

guest12 wrote:http://www.hobbylinc.com/tamiya-acrylic . mYQAvD_BwE
Custom Hobby Decals is a premier supplier of the digitally printed waterslide and vinyl decals, stickers, and stencils for Hobbyists worldwide.

WE PRINT WHITE DECALS.
ALSO METALLIC COLOURS!

We provide products and services for:
Retail or “Off-The-Shelf”
Custom Decals
OEM Decals.

https://customhobbydecals.com/
DonnaJat

Hull Paint

Unread post by DonnaJat »

Got to admit dont like the tracks you get with Tamiya, love the am ones Snapdragons get, but sadly have to watch pennies so get paint or glue instead.

Unread post by Guest »

A brand called scalecoat used by model train people have great options for Laker colors.

Unread post by Guest »

One factor to consider when painting a model red is that the underlying coat will affect the final shade of red you will achieve on your top coat. I have found that a light or white primer coat will yield a brighter red and a gray will yield a darker red when using acrylic model paints such as Testors MM. I suspect that an ore-red color variation could have similar properties so you may want to prove out the final color on some sample pieces before applying it to a finished model.
guest12

Unread post by guest12 »

Unread post by Guest »

Sorry I can't help you, but I thought I saw somewhere that there was an old Sherwin Williams chart with the colors certain lake fleets purchased for their vessels. If you cannot find a close enough match with standard paints like Tamiya or Testor's Hobby Master there are plenty of modeling websites that can help in obtaining the proper paint mix ratios to achieve a variety of color variations. Please keep us updated as you continue your project as it sounds interesting!
Wheelsman

Unread post by Wheelsman »

I haven't built any USS boats, but for the 2 Hanna boats I did build, in which the ore red looked close, I used a base coat of flat red commercial/automotive primer and then a clearcoat overspray. I used a semi-gloss clear lacquer on one, and a gloss clear enamel on the other. You might want to experiment with these combinations to suit your taste, depending if you want the freshly painted look, or somewhat weathered. You can check out the results in the Laker Conversion Models thread. Good luck with your project.
mcnearney

Hull Paint

Unread post by mcnearney »

I am making a model of the Sewell Avery and I am stumped on getting paint for the hull. What is the color and how do I get a small amount.

John Bunker
[email protected]