St. Clair River Floatdown

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Guest33

Re: St. Clair River Floatdown

Unread post by Guest33 »

A set floatdown date showed up in mid 80’s. In early 70’s July and August weekends were some scary trips up or down River, Three or four sets of tubers while meeting another vessel with them between vessels most of them towing a cooler full of adult beverages on it’s own tube! USCG, local marine patrol US and Canadian customs cracked down ticketing many for life jacket violation. Hardcore floaters were vocal, yes they have every right to be on the River, compromise was you get a weekend been that way since. They never could get sponsored too dangerous.
New Guy Rick

Unread post by New Guy Rick »

I ran by there yesterday around 3:00.
The turnout was very light. The weather was mixed, light breeze mostly blowing toward the US side. The sky looked nasty to the north. I would have been concerned about that. Not sure what happened with the weather.
All the floats were running right along the shoreline. Seemed like there were enough kayaks and steerable vessels to keep the floaties in control.
The Sheriff, Coast Guard, Power squadron and others had a huge presence on the river.

Say what you want, even at 63 years young, this is on my bucket list. Every year other distractions get in the way.

Maybe next year...
Rick

I'd post a picture if I knew how.

Unread post by Guest »

Jared wrote:
Guest wrote:One way to stop the Floatdown is to let the traffic flow. After playing bumper boats with a few lakers they will think twice next time. As long as they keep closing the river for the event, they will do it.
They have only stopped traffic since the mid 2000s. The two decades prior they had to deal with boats and freighters, and since there is no way to stop it, the call was made to get it over with with as little obstacles as possible.

In conjunction with the Coast Guard, we have tried to ticket and remove floaters from the river, pass ordinances and laws, and flat out ban it with a massive pushback from the public. It's almost like a mass protest on a waterway. Too few of us and too many of them. But they have the right to use it as much as boaters and commercial traffic. The river belongs to us all, and someday the event may peter out like all traditions.
They may have the right to use the river just the same as ships. However tubers, considered vessels by law, do not have the right to impede vessels in the navigation channel.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

Guest wrote:One way to stop the Floatdown is to let the traffic flow. After playing bumper boats with a few lakers they will think twice next time. As long as they keep closing the river for the event, they will do it.
They have only stopped traffic since the mid 2000s. The two decades prior they had to deal with boats and freighters, and since there is no way to stop it, the call was made to get it over with with as little obstacles as possible.

In conjunction with the Coast Guard, we have tried to ticket and remove floaters from the river, pass ordinances and laws, and flat out ban it with a massive pushback from the public. It's almost like a mass protest on a waterway. Too few of us and too many of them. But they have the right to use it as much as boaters and commercial traffic. The river belongs to us all, and someday the event may peter out like all traditions.
Curious 1

Unread post by Curious 1 »

Imagine an unsponsored race (autos or motorcycles) taking controI of I-94 (a Federal highway) for any length of time and demanding the presence of law enforcement and EMT services -- paid for by taxes. The St. Clair River is an international waterway used for both commerce and pleasure, and I don't see any justification in closing it for the Float Down.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I would’ve thought years ago if my memory is correct after a teen or young person drowned and then later they found and recovered the person’s body, they would have then given it serious consideration at that point of making major changes to it. Then I recall a few years ago where if I’m saying this right, several people got picked up in Canada and the authorities there were not the least bit thrilled, pleased and too happy about that one! That’s like the Jobbie Noober event that they have on Gull Island every year in the Summer. I saw a video of that this year and couldn’t believe my eyes and what I was seeing especially with the COVID-19 virus pandemic and the way they were warning people to stay safe and to stay home and avoid large gatherings at least at that time anyway. Maybe I’m the dumb, stupid and crazy one and perhaps then I must be missing something?

Unread post by Guest »

One way to stop the Floatdown is to let the traffic flow. After playing bumper boats with a few lakers they will think twice next time. As long as they keep closing the river for the event, they will do it.
Diver Dan

Unread post by Diver Dan »

I don't think there is any organizing body to "cancel it". It's just something that happened, that became an annual thing, and people show up if they want to participate.

Here in Saint Ignace, the annual big car show was well in advance of the regular June weekend, but it seemed like we still had about 1/2 of the folks show up with their show cars anyway. It was something "they always did" on that weekend, so they did it despite the Covid-19 restrictions.

I suspect a certain number of folks will try to do the float-down no matter what obstacles are put in the way, but I'd hope that, between the Canadian government objections and the Covid-19 thing, that the numbers are significantly reduced.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

They've done it no matter the winds or conditions. In 2015 while working it, we had a severe thunderstorm roll through and didnt stop them.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I see on the weather prediction and the Apps I have and use daily that they are predicting rain and storms on Sunday and at 60% give or take as well. Could this have an impact then and an effect on the Floatdown and could they possibly cancel it IF the weather is bad enough as far as any rain and storms? Last question, “Have they ever had to cancel or postpone the Floatdown in past years due to weather issues such as any rain, storms, lightning or high winds?” Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks for that update New Guy Rick and much appreciated and also my wish to welcome you to the Discussion Board and pages as I have enjoyed your posts. So, from everyone’s replies it sounds then like the Floatdown is a go then this year inspite all of the usual and normal issues and warnings about it especially this year with the COVID-19 virus pandemic. I’ve never ever believe it or not been out to the river to see the Floatdown event. Many have often told me that someday I need to go and see it. Hopefully someday I’ll get out there to see it if I live long enough to ever see the event. Thanks everyone for your replies!
New Guy Rick

Unread post by New Guy Rick »

" Also on a subject change, I thought I read too where they also had the Port Huron to Mackinac Yacht and Sailboat Races this year?"

Yes they did, but it was not anything like normal.

Usually there are about 200 boats competing, there were less than 100.
The pre-race festival and party in Port Huron was cancelled.
All boats raced the shore course because boats couldn't cross the water border.
There are usually a 150 boats or so rafted off in the marina on the island. The Michigan DNR only allowed about 12 boats into the marina.
There were no awards or parties on the island.
The place was a ghost town.

The Chicago to Mac did not happen.

Unread post by Guest »

We were out fishing on Lake Erie on Tuesday when we heard a Notice to Mariners of closing the St Claire River to all navigation for the float down.
1) closing the river places delays on commercial traffic
2) The fact that Canada is saying that recreational boaters ( tubers ) cannot cross the border on a navigation system which channels cross the border some thirteen or fourteen times between Lake Erie and Lake Huron. This could lead to a border war. Pleasure boaters should be allowed to follow the channel as well as all commercial traffic does without being stopped and arrested.
gjhunter

Unread post by gjhunter »

It's my understanding that the float down event is not a organized event. It's really just a bunch of people that show up every year and jump into the river with their floats. The local cities have been trying to stop this event for years now and have not succeeded since there is no organizer.
Denny

St. Clair River Floatdown

Unread post by Denny »

In reading the news regarding the St. Clair River Floatdown event, I’m confused on this and have a few questions. First and foremost, are they even having the Floatdown event this year? If they are having it, then when is it taking place? I would’ve thought with the COVID-19 virus that most all events were cancelled and postponed for this year and would have thought that the Floatdown also would’ve been cancelled as well. Also on a subject change, I thought I read too where they also had the Port Huron to Mackinac Yacht and Sailboat Races this year? Am I then reading and hearing all this news correctly or am I somehow getting some mis-information from somewhere? Any info is appreciated here.