Taconite Harbor

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Taconite Harbor

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Scott wrote:The only reason I asked is because I see it on google earth satalite view and it still looks active (machinery, coal storage)
I haven't been up the shore for a couple of years but I believe it is and I think the coal is delivered via rail.
When in operation the plant received coal by boat.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Guest wrote:
Scott wrote:The only reason I asked is because I see it on google earth satalite view and it still looks active (machinery, coal storage)
I haven't been up the shore for a couple of years but I believe it is and I think the coal is delivered via rail.
According to this article the plant is in standby mode until 2022, but hasn't produced power since 2016. From other internet sources, only two of the three units are currently permitted to operate.

https://www.wtip.org/community-gets-tac ... e-mn-power

Unread post by Guest »

The book I have on the development of the Taconite industry and in particular Silver Bay doesn't mention how long they expected the Silver Bay facilities to remain in operation. There are literally billions of tons of taconite in Minnesota and the only thing that prevents it most from being developed is costs of extraction, costs of environmental and reclamation, etc.

However, Silver Bay was very nearly forced to close permanently in the late 1970s due to taconite tailings being dumped into Lake Superior that was found to have caused asbestos contamination in the City of Duluth's drinking water. The environment lawsuits went all the way to the US Supreme Court and Reserve was forced to either create an on-land, well inland tailing facility or close permanently.

The book I have is called "Pioneering with Taconite" by E. W. Davis and was first printed in 1964 and was recently reprinted.

Unread post by Guest »

Unread post by Guest »

So am I right in assuming that when Silver Bay opened back in the 1950s it was anticipated that it would only remain operational until the 2020s?
Scott

Unread post by Scott »

The only reason I asked is because I see it on google earth satalite view and it still looks active (machinery, coal storage)
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Scott wrote:Is the power plant in Taconite Harbor still active?
It closed several years ago.
Scott

Unread post by Scott »

Is the power plant in Taconite Harbor still active?

Unread post by Guest »

Yes, Youngstown Sheet and Tube had an interest in Erie Mining, along with the Steel Company of Canada (STELCO).

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Erie Mining was owned by Pickands and Mather. Bethlehem Steel had an interest in the mine and taconite pellet plant for a time.
Did Youngstown Sheet and Tube have an interest in Erie?
Bob

Unread post by Bob »

When I lived in grand marais in the early 70’s I went to school with a lot of kids that lived in those houses in taconite harbor. Seems strange to see the houses gone and trees and brush overgrown where there once was a small community

Unread post by Guest »

Erie Mining was owned by Pickands and Mather. Bethlehem Steel had an interest in the mine and taconite pellet plant for a time.
KHenry

Unread post by KHenry »

Was Erie Mining owned by one of the steel companies, or was it an independent mining operation?
Pat

Unread post by Pat »

I remember the homes were sold in the 90’s for a bargain basement price. They were moved by home movers. As I recall, all the homes were the same, other than the color. The overgrown remains of the streets are still there.

Unread post by Guest »

I think they moved or tore down the houses but yes it was like a ghost town.

Unread post by Guest »

garbear wrote: I live in Duluth. No so many free issues per month. You must have got lucky because you can't view the DNT without a subscription.
Having no problems viewing without a subscription.

Unread post by Guest »

When I was a very young boy in the early 80s, my uncle had a cabin on Lake Superior just up the shore between Tac Harbor and Schroder. Some of my earliest and fondest memories were climbing on the rocks along the shore, looking for agates and of course getting a VERY close look at the ore ships as they'd arrive and depart. I remember my dad waking me up in the middle of the night to see one of the new (at the time) 1000fters come in to load - seeing all those lights mysteriously floating by in the darkness. I think it's why I'm still a Boat Nerd all these years later. Was sad to hear when they shut it down. Tac Harbor was a unique place as there was an entire village that was built to house the workers in the 50s and 60s. I believe The cement slabs the houses were on are still there along with a few remnants that nature has since reclaimed.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Thanks for the information.
RCRVRP

Unread post by RCRVRP »

If you are locked out just clear your browsing history and it will reset so you can view articles again.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Mr Link wrote:
garbear wrote:
If you don't have a subscription to the DNT you can't look at any of their articles.
I was able to view it with no issues, and I certainly don't have a subscription. Perhaps its one of those sites where you can only access it so many times per month free. Or maybe I just got lucky with my old browser.

I live in Duluth. No so many free issues per month. You must have got lucky because you can't view the DNT without a subscription.