Walter J McCarthy Jr. - blue paint on superstructure

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Walter J McCarthy Jr. - blue paint on superstructure

Unread post by Guest »

If I'm not mistaken, Detroit Edison at one time had at least part ownership of the both the Belle River and St. Clair and that was one of the reasons both ships had the blue paint on their boom supports. During the late 1980s, I heard that DTE paid the operating costs for the Belle River and would assume that a similar arrangement existed for the St. Clair. I'm not sure, but I'm assuming that somewhere along the way the ownership arrangement was changed. Of course, this could all have been some type of charter arrangement as well. There is often confusion between a ship's legal ownership and its operator as several references will actually list an operator as an owner. I do recall that a Detroit Edison payment office in Marine City, Michigan, during the early 1980s had a large aerial photograph of the Belle River on the St. Clair River.
Scott

Unread post by Scott »

I remember growing up in Duluth on the hillside around 1978-80 and we had a good view of the SMET facility. I can fondly recall the big ship with the blue paint by the pilothouse. Belle River was one of my earliest favorite ships. :)
Paul A

Unread post by Paul A »

garbear wrote:
Guest wrote:Did it have to do with ASC's contract to haul coal for Detroit Edison? The St. Clair also had part of her self-unloading hydraulic support painted the same shade of blue. Both vessels were constructed for the hauling contract and we're largely dedicated to the run for most of their lives this far.
It did have to do with the Detroit Edison contract. Way back when I sailed it was called Detroit Edison blue.
garbear stated it completely. Mr. Walter J McCarthy Jr. was one of the leaders and board head of Detroit Edison. He passed a couple years ago and sailed on his namesake to Superior frequently. DTE blue.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Guest wrote:Did it have to do with ASC's contract to haul coal for Detroit Edison? The St. Clair also had part of her self-unloading hydraulic support painted the same shade of blue. Both vessels were constructed for the hauling contract and we're largely dedicated to the run for most of their lives this far.
It did have to do with the Detroit Edison contract. Way back when I sailed it was called Detroit Edison blue.

Unread post by Guest »

Did it have to do with ASC's contract to haul coal for Detroit Edison? The St. Clair also had part of her self-unloading hydraulic support painted the same shade of blue. Both vessels were constructed for the hauling contract and we're largely dedicated to the run for most of their lives this far.

Unread post by Guest »

jlew715 wrote:I noticed that since it was launched as Belle River, Walter J. McCarthy Jr. has always had the support for the unloading boom on the superstructure painted a light blue. However, a few years ago (2017?), ASC painted it white so it looks identical to the other ASC Bayship 'footers.

Any idea why after ~30 years it was decided to remove the blue paintjob? Always made her easy to spot!
That blue paint had to be color matched, so it was decided to be not worth the effort and painted white.
jlew715

Walter J McCarthy Jr. - blue paint on superstructure

Unread post by jlew715 »

I noticed that since it was launched as Belle River, Walter J. McCarthy Jr. has always had the support for the unloading boom on the superstructure painted a light blue. However, a few years ago (2017?), ASC painted it white so it looks identical to the other ASC Bayship 'footers.

Any idea why after ~30 years it was decided to remove the blue paintjob? Always made her easy to spot!