Story about the CSL Package Freighter Magog

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Story about the CSL Package Freighter Magog

Unread post by guest »

blake then your father was alan mann i was at his home once what l thought was neat he had a garage with a front and rear door and an entrance from 2 different streets i also was able to attend his funeral at the catholic church on a saturday morning
Blake

Unread post by Blake »

My grandfather was Frank Mann here in Wallaceburg.
The garage was at 210 Lafontaine at the corner of Wellington St. The garage closed in 1984 and was torn down shortly after. As well, the house next to it to the north was torn down. That house was originally my great-grandfather’s, as he operated a livery stable where the garage stood starting in 1873. The garage was built in 1928, and additions added over the years. Frank sold English (Austin, MG, Triumph) cars starting in 1948, as well as Hudsons.
When the property was sold in 1984, a new building was built which was the Ambulance dispatch. It was later sold. Not sure what business is there today.
jim1

Unread post by jim1 »

your 100% right my old man bought his victor vauxhaul at highview mortors in galt ontario and they were a gmc pontiac dealership he also bought a few austins at coppel bros in galt i remember the turn signals were between the front and rear doors
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

my father had an english made car, 1958 vauxhall lt had a decal on the hood {bonnet} general motors made in england dont think he had any serous problems with it
Ha! Most Vauxhalls back then looked like miniature '57 Chevies, with good reason. Pontiac dealerships sold the cars in the states, for some reason.
jim1

Unread post by jim1 »

my father had an english made car, 1958 vauxhall lt had a decal on the hood {bonnet} general motors made in england dont think he had any serous problems with it
William Lafferty

Do you know which corner of Lafontaine/Wellington dealership was at?
If the dealership's address was 210, it would be between the hair styling place on the corner (204) and the Christian fellowship building (222). Those buildings are relatively new, and my guess is the dealership occupied that block with its main building being at 210. Not much demand for Austins these days (unless the name "Healey" is appended).
jim1

Unread post by jim1 »

bill i dont know how you dig up your info but your 100% better than me thank you

Unread post by Guest »

William Lafferty

Is that ever neat to see. Just Google satellite'd corner Lafontaine/Wellington. Except for vacant parking lot at SE corner (where the dealership might have parked the cars) don't see anything that looks like an old car dealership. Do you know which corner of Lafontaine/Wellington dealership was at?

Does the dealership bldg still exist?
William Lafferty

wae frank mann the father of allan mann? did he own an austin cae dealership in wallaceburg?
Yes. Corner of Lafontaine and Wellington.
Attachments
Manns Garage.png
johnfrombrighton

Unread post by johnfrombrighton »

Jim1

Yes, Frank Mann was father of Alan Mann. Both were Wallaceburg historians & wrote (in books, newspaper articles) a lot about Wallaceburg's history.

I don't know if he owned a Austin dealership, but I think Frank Mann was involved in the car repair/"garage" business.
jim1

Unread post by jim1 »

wae frank mann the father of allan mann? did he own an austin cae dealership in wallaceburg?
johnfrombrighton

Re: Story about the CSL Package Freighter Magog - The Story

Thank you - very much - for your kind words.

Here's the next - and final - chapter of the story. https://www.wallaceburgcourierpress.com ... the-ending

Hope you enjoy it.

Unread post by Guest »

Another great story, John! Looking forward to the next chapter.
johnfrombrighton

Story about the CSL Package Freighter Magog

You might have to scroll down a couple of stories, but there's a recently published story about the Magog at the Wallaceburg Courier Press Facebook site at https://www.facebook.com/WallaceburgCourierPress/.