20th Anniversary of mts Arcadia

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Ralph Diehl

20th Anniversary of mts Arcadia

Unread post by Ralph Diehl »

Today (May 14) is the 20th anniversary of the 'mts Arcadia' leaving Piraeus for the Great Lakes.

It took one month for the transit from Greece to Canada, and spent less than 2 months in the Lakes until the charter failed due to the shipowner not being able to gain CDC compliance.

This makes an interesting comparison between that event and all the CDC vs cruise line happenings right now because of COVID.

Later on, I was retained as a consultant for the Lake Express project by the owners and spent quite a few years with the development of that.

I finished a standard 2-year stint as president of the Great Lakes Passenger Boat Association recently, which has been in existence for 40-something years and has most of the dinner/cruise/ferry operators as members in the Great Lakes.

If anybody has and comments or questions about the state of overnight cruises on the Great Lakes, I would be happy to answer them, as I am still very much on the 'inside' as to what is going on.