St, Clair River Two Way Traffic below Blue Water Bridge

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
J Kerwin

Re: St, Clair River Two Way Traffic below Blue Water Bridge

Unread post by J Kerwin »

The Huron Light Ship is not the southerly point off one way traffic. The Black River is the southerly point. The Port Huron Traffic Buoy referred to in the pilotage document refers to a buoy that once was positioned at the Black River and after consultation with industry, was removed permanently. I remember this happening but can not recall the exact year. I believe it may have been 1985. I can remember hearing Sarnia Traffic asking vessels as they passed unbound and downbound in the area if they felt the removal of the buoy would be hazardous or if it would not make a difference to navigation. Vessels have passed each other in the one way restricted zone over the years and this has usually ended up in fines or other punitive actions. Simply put, regarding ship traffic, one way traffic is all that is allowed between the Black River Entrance and Huron Cut Buoys 1 and 2.

Unread post by Guest »

I have been going to the Port Huron area to watch ships since the early 1980s and I have always noticed that upbound ships will maintain what appears to be just steerage speed after passing the Black River light while waiting for downbound traffic to clear. They do at times pass downbound ships a little above the Black River but I have never seen opposing traffic meet as far upriver as where the Lightship is positioned at the north end of Pine Grove Park.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

Huron Lightship is 7/10s of mile south of the bridge.
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

And how far below the Bluewater Bridge is the Huron Lightship? I can picture it, but thought it was about 2000 yards. TIA
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Language from current coast pilot.
Attachments
st clair.jpg
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

To my knowledge there is no restriction on ships in the entire river system. I recall watching the Barker and Indiana Harbor passing one another in front of the Huron Lightship about 5 years ago. One cheeky boater ran right between the two less than 70ft apart.

Unread post by Guest »

I think the main point of the question was the permanent one-way traffic rule between the Black River and Buoys 1 & 2 that is still in use to this day and not what happened in the days immediately after the sinking. It seems like the main question was would the arrival of 105-foot beam ships had forced this change even without the collision?
guest 2

Unread post by guest 2 »

What you may be recalling was the forming of "convoys" upbound and downbound. There could be as many as 15 or 20 boats together in a group which would pass upbound or downbound. Once the first group completed it passage, the oposing "convoy" would proceed through the rstrict (Sydney Smith) area. There were many more vessels at this time of realtive prosperity and before the advent of thousand footers. Lots & lots of Steinbrenner boats.

Unread post by Guest »

Wasn't this restriction on two-way traffic just in place while the wreck was being salvaged? Or was it longer term?

St, Clair River Two Way Traffic below Blue Water Bridge

Unread post by Guest »

I have seen it said that after the Sydney E. Smith Jr. sinking in June 1972 that the new restriction of no two-way traffic on the St. Clair River between Black River and Buoys 1 & 2 was put into place. Had the collision and sinking not occurred would this not have happened anyway with the new thousand-foot and 105-foot beam vessels that came into service beginning in 1972? It seems like it would be difficult for two 1000 foot vessels to pass in the narrow part of the river below the Blue Water Bridge. When the Stewart J. Cort passed upbound on its maiden voyage in May of 1972 did it meet any opposing traffic in this area? Did any of the 75-foot beam vessels have any problems meeting below the before the restriction was put into place? I had heard a rumor several years ago that with the reduction in traffic, there was some consideration of abolishing the one-way traffic restriction. Obviously, this was apparently an unfounded rumor.