Footers at Calcite

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Footers at Calcite

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:The Indiana Harbor would often deliver limestone to the Dow Chemical plant in Ludington when it was in operation, starting in 1983. And the Presque Isle besides delivering stone to Duluth, would often unload at Buffington

I recall reading about the Indiana Harbor carrying a load of limestone from Stoneport to Fairport in 1984. How common is it for a 1000-foot ship to load at Stoneport? In particular the Bay Shipbuilding footers with their deeper depth?

Unread post by Guest »

The Indiana Harbor would often deliver limestone to the Dow Chemical plant in Ludington when it was in operation, starting in 1983. And the Presque Isle besides delivering stone to Duluth, would often unload at Buffington
Dawn

Unread post by Dawn »

Geest wrote:The PI has been in Calcite several times this season and last and the Spirit was last there in 2019 I think.
Thanks.
hausen

Unread post by hausen »

Presque Isle has occasionally delivered limestone to Duluth ever since the late 1980s, either unloading at Hallett Dock 5 or into the limestone hopper on the west side of Missabe Dock (CN) 6. It's likely that at least a significant portion of these cargoes were coming from Calcite.

The Oglebay Norton (ex. Lewis Wilson Foy, now American Integrity) is often noted to have carried a limestone cargo in 1992. This would've possibly made her the deepest-hulled / tallest-hulled ship to ever load at whichever dock it was where she took on that cargo. The American Integrity has a hull depth listed at 56', American Spirit has a hull depth of 50', Presque Isle's is 46' 06".

Unread post by Guest »

I'm not sure which footer was first but the American Spirit has been going there since 2012.
Geest

Unread post by Geest »

The PI has been in Calcite several times this season and last and the Spirit was last there in 2019 I think.
Dawn

Footers at Calcite

Unread post by Dawn »

Maybe I missed it somewhere in the past but I can't recall ever seeing a footer scheduled to load at Calcite. American Spirit is there now.