Bradley

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Re: Bradley

Unread post by Denny »

Ok so apparently and obviously Wikipedia didn’t update the Bradley info or perhaps possibly they don’t for some reason recognize Buffington but rather Gary instead? After seeing the news clippings, I now see and agree with you all that it was Buffington she last unloaded at afterall! Thanks for posting those news clippings as well.
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

It is indeed Gary that she unloaded her last cargo at as I found it out by doing a search in Wikipedia and it does say there that it was Gary where she last unloaded at. Hope that this informations helps out here.
Wikipedia? Really? I was going to attach the relative articles but Guest just did, which verify what I posted yesterday.

Unread post by Guest »

Clippings from a 1927 article about her maiden voyage and a 1958 article on her sinking. Both designate Buffington as the harbor:
Bradley maiden.jpg
Bradley.jpg
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

It is indeed Gary that she unloaded her last cargo at as I found it out by doing a search in Wikipedia and it does say there that it was Gary where she last unloaded at. Hope that this informations helps out here.
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

There seems to be a lot of confusion about this. An issue mainly devoted to the Bradley in a 1959 issue of Calcite Screenings said it delivered its last cargo to the same dock it had delivered its first. This would have been the new Buffington Harbor of Universal Atlas Cementon 30 July 1927, then recently dedicated by the Vice President of the United States. Many times I've seen the ports of Gary and Buffington Harbor conflated because of their close geographic proximity, although Buffington is a good four or so miles west of the harbor at Gary. Buffington Harbor is within the corporate boundaries of the City of Gary. Many contemporary news reports of the sinking cite Buffington as the vessel's last call, including the northern Indiana paper at Munster, The Times, that extensively covered United States Steel operations there.

Unread post by Guest »

Gary
Portdrydock

Bradley

Unread post by Portdrydock »

With the upcoming anniversary of the Bradley, l’ve been reading and watching all of my Bradley material. Some info mentions Gary as the last unloading port and other info mentions Buffington as the last port. I know each location has a dock and was wondering which one was it?