Frank Purnell Interlake Steamship

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Frank Purnell Interlake Steamship

Unread post by Guest »

In 1965, Interlake Steamship traded its Frank Purnell to Bethlehem Steel for the Steelton (2) with the intention of converting the latter steamer into a self-unloader. Both vessels would then be renamed to carry on the names of the former vessels in both fleets. The question I have concerning this trade is in the Marine Historical Society of Detroit's Great Lakes Engineering Works book has a picture of the Frank Purnell shown in Interlake Steamship colors in 1965 that appears in the historical write up for the Steelton (2) (Hull 525). However, the text indicates that the Steelton (2) did not become Frank Purnell (2) until its conversion to a self-unloader was completed in 1966. I would thereby assume that the picture in the account is actually that of the original Frank Purnell prior to its trade to Bethlehem Steel which if I recall correctly was near the end of the 1965 season. Would I be correct in this assumption?