Ship's Steering Arrnagement

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Ship's Steering Arrnagement

Unread post by Guest »

It depends on the age of the vessel.

The older vessels had a rod going the length of the vessel which would stroke a steam steering gear, which would port steam to make the rudder go left or right. mechanical over steam.

Then there are still some, out there with the Tele-motor steering which is hydraulic over electric. There are hydraulic lines running the length of the vessel that in turns move the rudder hydraulically.

Finally there is electric over hydraulic.(Most vessels are operated this way) Electric signals start the motors which are mechanically linked to the pumps. There are other signals which make the rudder go left or right.
Jared

Re: Ship's Steering Arrnagement

Unread post by Jared »

Yes, the freighters built from the late 1890s to about 1916 had the chain system. The Argus which sank in the storm of 1913 had her rudder slammed into the propeller ripping off all the buckets and causing her to founder stern first.

This is from either the American Fortitude or Courtney Burton.
2.jpg
Although this style is still used on the older ones. (Photo is from a liberty ship) I cannot find my files in the internal lakers at the moment, but I will post when I do.
project-liberty-ship-06ed6063-baf3-43bf-97fd-9ca53a70951e-7.jpg

Ship's Steering Arrnagement

Unread post by Guest »

How is the rudder connected to the ship's wheel in a Great Lakes freighter? I recall reading that ones from the early 20th century had chains running to the steering gear, thus there was the danger of the chain parting during a storm. Is that still the process or is it done by rods or electrical motors?