Oakglen

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
hausen

Re: Oakglen

Unread post by hausen »

ashland69 wrote:That's weird. I always thot sugar came in off the ocean thru the seaway.
You're correct. A saltie delivered the cargo of sugar in question to Picton Terminals sometime last season, and it presumably came from Brazil, Guatemala, or one of the other common origins for bulk sugar bound for Redpath in Toronto.

Perhaps Redpath's on-site stockpile capacity was anticipated to be maxed out at the end of last season, but demand was also antipicated to be high enough to eat through that stockpile before winter's end. In that case, perhaps this cargo was being stored at Picton until there was room for it at the Redpath facility in Toronto. Having it delivered to Picton might've served as a way to get one more cargo of sugar onto Lake Ontario before the locks of the Seaway closed, standing by to meet winter demand at the processing facility and ready to move to Toronto before any locks open if necessary.
ashland69

Unread post by ashland69 »

That's weird. I always thot sugar came in off the ocean thru the seaway.
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

She loaded sugar in Picton.
ashland69

Oakglen

Unread post by ashland69 »

I see the Oakglen has sailed from Toronto to, I believe, Picton or some point near there and is now returning to Toronto. Anyone know what's going on?