Edgar B. Speer

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Re: Edgar B. Speer

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks Roger as I appreciate that very much! I also later saw that too on the News Page along with the Top Hat ones from the Welland Canal as well yesterday. I try to keep a record of who the captains and chiefs are every year as far as "First Vessel Arrivals at both the Soo Locks along with the Welland Canal." As you may know and recall, years ago they used to have a list of them in the Lakeboats book. Now that this book has been dis-continued unfortunately, there isn't too many ways now as far as seeing who they are other than through sites like here with boatnerd and on Facebook and Social Media sites and sometimes Newspaper sites as well. I did a Search for the Top Hats at the Welland yesterday and then I got lucky as it brought up a whole bunch of stuff thus I found it under the Newspaper listings in St. Catharines and other locations on the Welland Canal. So again, thanks for your help as I always appreciate it!
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

Capt. Abe Grogan, Chief Engineer Isaiah Majetich
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I've been trying to do searches as far as finding out just who the current captain and the chief engineer are aboard the Edgar B. Speer. Not having much luck or success so far in finding out anything. I did though however find on a NOAA website though that at one point a VOS award was given to Captain L.G. Stolz along with Chief Mate Richard Robertson both of the Speer. However, I'm thinking that this was not recent and was sometime long ago? If anyone knows or any facebook page or has any information as far as who the current captain and chief engineer are on the Speer it would be very helpful and appreciative. Thanks so much to in advance. Happy Sailings to everyone and have a good, safe and successful year!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

As expected, both the Speer and the Gott made it to the Soo today and were both upbound on the St. Marys River today. They both are now at the lower lock walls waiting for the time of the opening at the Soo Locks. The Speer will take the honors as the first ship to lock through when the Soo Locks open up on March 25. They should then be followed after by the Edwin H. Gott. So far, I'm not seeing or showing anything as far as downbound yet but that will change surely at some point I'm sure then.

Unread post by Guest »

The Gott and Speer are both sailing! There will be some on the wall this season, but it's good to have the boys back.
Denny

Edgar B. Speer

Unread post by Denny »

As of 12:35 a.m. on March 22, the Speer departed Toledo in the evening of March 21 and was upbound at that time near Amherstburg, Ontario. They are showing Two Harbors on their AIS also. Depending on other ships and their respective departures and sailings, maybe the Speer as the first laker at the Soo for the 2022 season? We'll have to see then. Spring has sprung, the robins and birds are back and so are our ships and boats as well. God Bless and be with all of the captains along with their crews and may you all have a great, safe sailing season in 2022! Cheers and 3 Long and 2 Short to ours ships and their crews as well.